• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking within 30ft of Stop Sign in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

francis28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

For the last 5 years I've been parking my cars directly in front of my house. Close to my house is a stop sign.

Less than 2 months ago a new neighbor (who lives directly in front of the stop sign) moved into our neighborhood. At the time, one of my cars was parked directly under the stop sign. Our previous neighbors did the same thing and no one called on the other.

The police came, gave me a warning, told me to stay within 20 feet of stop sign and I'll be fine. I moved the car and that was that.

Today, I had both of my cars parked in front of my house. One is within 20 feet and the other is questionably within 30 feet. The law evidently is evidently is that cars can't disrupt an intersection or hide the display of a stop sign within 30 feet, not 20.

So here's my question: how should I fight this?

One of the cars is questionably not within 30 feet, but the other one is. It's not directly below the stop sign but within...let's say, 15 feet.

My street is residential and I don't want to be that prickly neighbor who calls the cops every day when they see a violation (a frivolous minor one).

I'm thinking of fighting one of the tickets and asking for leniency for the other one. I have pictures and I would hope that the judge understands my grievances.

On the other hand, since I apparently can't park in front of my own house because it's too close to the stop sign, I am thinking of just calling and utterly bothering the cops as much as possible every time I see cars parked in front of my house (this entire issue only began when this new neighbor moved in). I don't want to do that, but if I can't park in front of my own house no one else should.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

For the last 5 years I've been parking my cars directly in front of my house. Close to my house is a stop sign.

Less than 2 months ago a new neighbor (who lives directly in front of the stop sign) moved into our neighborhood. At the time, one of my cars was parked directly under the stop sign. Our previous neighbors did the same thing and no one called on the other.

The police came, gave me a warning, told me to stay within 20 feet of stop sign and I'll be fine. I moved the car and that was that.

Today, I had both of my cars parked in front of my house. One is within 20 feet and the other is questionably within 30 feet. The law evidently is evidently is that cars can't disrupt an intersection or hide the display of a stop sign within 30 feet, not 20.

So here's my question: how should I fight this?

One of the cars is questionably not within 30 feet, but the other one is. It's not directly below the stop sign but within...let's say, 15 feet.

My street is residential and I don't want to be that prickly neighbor who calls the cops every day when they see a violation (a frivolous minor one).

I'm thinking of fighting one of the tickets and asking for leniency for the other one. I have pictures and I would hope that the judge understands my grievances.

On the other hand, since I apparently can't park in front of my own house because it's too close to the stop sign, I am thinking of just calling and utterly bothering the cops as much as possible every time I see cars parked in front of my house (this entire issue only began when this new neighbor moved in). I don't want to do that, but if I can't park in front of my own house no one else should.

Any advice is appreciated.
YOu broke the law and now you want to play tit for tat? REALLY? Park in your drive way. And grow up. Your grievance is that you didn't get away with breaking the law. Parking too close to a stop sign is a safety issue.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Yeah, that will show 'em.

francis28

You make it sound like I knew the state statute making it illegal to park within 30 ft of a stop. You make it sound like I intentionally, willfully broke the law.

1. At first I was told by the cops that I needed to stay within 20 ft. I only find that it's actually 30 ft because I did my own research.

2. One car is beyond 20 ft and the other is within 20 ft. Boh are parked in front of my house. I don't have a driveway or a garage and the parking in front of my house is all I have.

francis28

YOu broke the law and now you want to play tit for tat? REALLY? Park in your drive way. And grow up. Your grievance is that you didn't get away with breaking the law. Parking too close to a stop sign is a safety issue.
If it's illegal to park in front of my house, why not?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You make it sound like I knew the state statute making it illegal to park within 30 ft of a stop. You make it sound like I intentionally, willfully broke the law.

1. At first I was told by the cops that I needed to stay within 20 ft. I only find that it's actually 30 ft because I did my own research.

2. One car is beyond 20 ft and the other is within 20 ft. Boh are parked in front of my house. I don't have a driveway or a garage and the parking in front of my house is all I have.
Ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse.

FlyingRon

75 Pa. CS 3353

§ 3353. Prohibitions in specified places.
(a) General rule.--Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to protect the safety of any person or vehicle or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:
(1) Stop, stand or park a vehicle:
(i) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street except that:
(A) A pedalcycle may be parked as provided in section 3509(b)(2) (relating to parking).
(B) Standing or parking for the purpose of loading or unloading persons or property may be authorized by local ordinance, but the ordinance shall not authorize standing or parking on State designated highways except during off-peak traffic-flow hours as determined by department regulations.
(ii) On a sidewalk except that a pedalcycle may be parked as provided in section 3509(b)(2).
(iii) Within an intersection.
(iv) On a crosswalk.
(v) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb within 30 feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by official traffic-control devices.
(vi) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing or parking would obstruct traffic.
(vii) Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel.
(viii) On any railroad tracks.
(ix) In the area between roadways of a divided highway, including crossovers.
(x) At any place where official signs prohibit stopping.
(2) Stand or park a vehicle:
(i) In front of a public or private driveway.
(ii) Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
(iii) Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.
(iv) Within 30 feet upon the approach to any flashing signal, stop sign, yield sign or traffic-control signal located at the site of a roadway.

(v) Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station or, when properly sign posted, on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within 75 feet of the entrance.
(vi) Where the vehicle would prevent the free movement of a streetcar.
(vii) On a limited access highway unless authorized by official traffic-control devices.
(viii) At any place where official signs prohibit standing.
(ix) Within 30 feet upon the approach to a sign warning of the possible presence of a person with a disability in the vicinity of a roadway adjacent to the person's residence or the possible presence of a person with a disability frequently traversing the roadway at that location. This subparagraph shall not apply unless an enabling local ordinance has been passed. The ordinance may apply generally throughout the municipality or be site specific. The ordinance may specify the height of vehicles prohibited from parking in these locations. The enforcement of this subparagraph requires that a sign indicating the violation and amount of fine be posted at each applicable location. For purposes of this section, the term "disability" shall mean a hearing impairment or total or partial blindness.
(3) Park a vehicle:
(i) Within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing.
(ii) At any place where official signs prohibit parking.

francis28

Last Friday I went up in front of the judge, asked for leniency, and now all is good in the world.

Approximately one week after I posted this thread I saw that my neighbor had parked his own car too close to the stop sign. Called the cops. The officer came and ticketed him and now, again, all is good in the world.

I didn't call the cops because of tit-for-tat but because I saw someone parked too close to a stop sign and as ohiogal would tell you, they were breaking the law -- and that is unacceptable.

Last, question: how do I get a variance?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Last Friday I went up in front of the judge, asked for leniency, and now all is good in the world.

Approximately one week after I posted this thread I saw that my neighbor had parked his own car too close to the stop sign. Called the cops. The officer came and ticketed him and now, again, all is good in the world.

I didn't call the cops because of tit-for-tat but because I saw someone parked too close to a stop sign and as ohiogal would tell you, they were breaking the law -- and that is unacceptable.

Last, question: how do I get a variance?
You are playing tit for tat. Quite frankly why would anyone want to help a child like you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">