• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying fines with pennies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erics79

New Hampshire

I was wondering if it was possible to pay a $150 fine that I got with pennies, I feel that this fine is unjust and is just another way for the city to create another revenue stream. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

JETX

erics79 said:
I was wondering if it was possible to pay a $150 fine that I got with pennies,
Of course you can offer that payment.... but they can refuse to accept. And contrary to the 'old fable', their refusal does not waive the payment obligation.

Section 102 of the Coinage Act of 1965 and section 392 of Title 31 of the United States Code say: "All coins and currencies of the United States, regardless of when coined or issued, shall be legal tender for all debts, public and private, public charges, taxes, duties and dues."

But the Treasury Department says there is no federal law requiring that a private business, person or organization must accept currency or coins as a payment for goods or services.

Unless there's a state law that requires a business to accept cash, private companies can set their own policies on whether they will take paper or coins.

Peetie

JETX said:
But the Treasury Department says there is no federal law requiring that a private business, person or organization must accept currency or coins as a payment for goods or services.

Unless there's a state law that requires a business to accept cash, private companies can set their own policies on whether they will take paper or coins.
Cash is paper or coins. If they accept paper, what legal grounds could the possibly have for not accepting coins, other than "I don't want to."?

JETX

Peetie said:
Cash is paper or coins. If they accept paper, what legal grounds could the possibly have for not accepting coins, other than "I don't want to."?
What makes you think that another reason is required??

CdwJava

Of course, it could also backfire ... they might accept the pennies provided you stand there and count out all 15,000 of them in front of one of their personnel.

As has been said, there is no legal obligation for them to take the coins. I would be amazed if they even considered it.

Of course, you realize that this is 93.75 lbs. of pennies, don't you? THAT should tell you what their reaction will be to this offer.

- Carl

JETX

HomeGuru said:
**A: fool them and give them ONE cashier's check or money order.
Oh, you are one sneaky dude, my friend!! That would surely toss them for a loop....

erics79

What JETX is saying makes no sense, if what he says is true than if a court ordered someone to pay me money I could just refuse to accept any payment citing that it isn't an expectable one and then they would be in violation of court order. My understanding was that US currency is the legal tender for all contracts, what case law do you have that says otherwise?

What you posted was this...

Section 102 of the Coinage Act of 1965 and section 392 of Title 31 of the United States Code say: "All coins and currencies of the United States, regardless of when coined or issued, shall be legal tender for all debts, public and private, public charges, taxes, duties and dues."

and then you say that...

However the Coinage Act is a federal law and it clearly states that all coins and currencies of the US shall be legal tender. So if you would care to explain all of this? It would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JETX

erics79 said:
What JETX is saying makes no sense
Awww, poor baby. So you disagree. Who cares?? This is a FREE LEGAL forum. If you don't like the legally accurate advice you receive, go do what you want. I really don't give a crap what you believe.... or do.
I provided legal background for my response. You..... provided nothing but your 'thinking'.

if what he says is true than if a court ordered someone to pay me money I could just refuse to accept any payment citing that it isn't an expectable one and then they would be in violation of court order.
Idiot!! If you did that, I would simply turn around, make my payment to the court, get a reciept and ask the court to issue a 'Satisfaction of Judgment'. Case closed!!
What a dweeb.

My understanding was that US currency is the legal tender for all contracts, what case law do you have that says otherwise?
And your 'understanding' is useless. After all, you are the idiot who started this whole thing because you didn't KNOW the answer..... now you seem to be claiming you are an expert.

Bottom line... do what you want. I have no desire to try to help you. :D

CdwJava

Okay ... try going to a small mom and pop store or gas station, or a vendor a a craft fair ... choose the smallest, cheapest item and try to pay with a $100 bill. They can refuse to accept it. Try and argue with them that they MUST accept it, and then call a cop when they refuse and see what happens.

Yes, it is legal tender. No, they don't have to accept it.

Try this link:

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp

Of course, nothing prevents you from giving it a go and lugging more than 93 lbs. of pennies into the courthouse to pay your debt. And nothing will prevent them from making YOU count them out one by one. Be sure to have the entire day clear for the counting.

- Carl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">