• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Penal Code 640 (b) (1) Fare Evasion.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jay8406

California

I was riding the green rail and met a man who had been in a motorcycle accident. I gave him my ticket so he could get back to San Bernardino and when I stepped off I was cited for not having my ticket. Would any judge have mercy on me for something like that? It's a max $250 fine and that's a pretty big hit for me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
jay8406 said:
California

I was riding the green rail and met a man who had been in a motorcycle accident. I gave him my ticket so he could get back to San Bernardino and when I stepped off I was cited for not having my ticket. Would any judge have mercy on me for something like that? It's a max $250 fine and that's a pretty big hit for me.
If he was on the train why didn't he have a ticket? Oh yeah. He evaded the fare. Then you gave him your ticket which means he now had a paying fare and you did not. The train is out a paying fare. You are the one without a ticket. Pay the fine. If that is a big hit for you, why did you give up your ticket?
And for some reason this situation doesn't even make sense to me. :confused:

jay8406

Just bad judgement after hearing a bad story I guess. I figured he had 3 or 4 legs to go on a trip and he didn't know anything about the system. Now that I look back on it I guess it really doesn't make sense.
Thanks for the replies.

Litigation!

JETX said:
No.... and they wouldn't believe your 'good samaritan' story anyway. :eek:

My response:

The officer didn't believe the "story," so why would a judge?

It costs a lousy $1.25 for the trains or subways, and both are on the "honor system" to buy a ticket from the machines. It's pretty obvious, with all the signs around, to buy a ticket for the ride, or get a ticket in a random request by officers. You took a calculated risk thinking that the chances were slim you wouldn't be asked.

Well, you were wrong.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">