• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permit valid and displayed, but still got a ticket. Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcmedstudent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
District of Columbia.

I moved to DC one month ago to attend school. 2 weeks ago, I followed the proper channels and obtained a residential parking permit, following the procedures established here:
District of Columbia: Department of Motor Vehicles - Services - Plates - Replacing Your Residential Parking Permit

I immediately placed my permit in lower driver's side window.

I have since been parking on the street by my apartment. Today I went out and had a ticket that said "No Permit Displayed", issued 4 days ago. This is ridiculous for a couple of reasons:
1. I had a valid permit displayed
2. I'm parking in the correct zone
3. I have literally not moved my car in two weeks, so if I was, in fact, not displaying my permit, wouldn't I have more than 1 ticket by this point?

I want to fight it, but the DMV is very specific about reasons that they will overturn a ticket, and this is the only one that's even halfway applicable:
"The stipulated facts in the ticket do not support the charge". But even that doesn't seem like it would apply.

So, in other words, how do I fight this ticket on the grounds that the parking enforcement officer is an idiot and cannot see (or that they are blatantly lying)? I sort of feel like I am being targeted because I have out of state plates and therefore, must be a student.

dcmedstudent

Thanks, I'm just sort of worried that when I go in, they're going to say that I can't prove that the sticker was on my car on the day in question (even though I can prove that the sticker was bought before then). How should I go about my argument?

I'm also curious as to how this happened. I mean, when the guy wrote the ticket and put it on my car, wouldn't he have to have seen the sticker as he was putting the ticket on?

justalayman

yes, proving the sticker was there is a problem. About all you can do is prove when you purchased it and show that it is on your vehicle now and hope the judge accepts that you installed the sticker upon purchase.

I mean, when the guy wrote the ticket and put it on my car, wouldn't he have to have seen the sticker as he was putting the ticket on?
are you positive the placement is correct? That is about the only justification I can think of if the sticker was actually already installed.

davidmcbeth3

judge will think

who would buy a sticker and not place it in the window ... unless you bought the sticker & gave it to someone else.....take a picture of your car with the reciept & this will make the judge rule in your favor

The Occultist

who would buy a sticker and not place it in the window ... unless you bought the sticker & gave it to someone else.....take a picture of your car with the reciept & this will make the judge rule in your favor
Many times, people will forget (or willingly allow themselves a delay before taking care of it) to affix the permit, and if the permit was not affixed, regardless of when it was purchased, then they are still in violation, which is the nature of the OP's concern.

Taking a picture will do no good as it only proves that the permit is now affixed, and does not prove that the permit was affixed at the time of cite, regardless of when it was purchased.

Based on your last couple posts, I have to ask: who are you?

justalayman

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Macbeth

davidmcbeth3

take a pic of the car with someone in front of it

And a closeup of the permit affixed....then you can say, "see, this pic was taken before my ticket & here is a closeup of the permit & here is my permit receipt"... case closed.

Most judges dont care about stickers as long as you paid for them ....

yada yada yada .... could have bought it and not put it on argument will fall on deaf ears. Cop wont care either.

I am a poster on this board .... believe you me, I have seen the inside of a courtroom many times lol ....

justalayman

And a closeup of the permit affixed....then you can say, "see, this pic was taken before my ticket & here is a closeup of the permit & here is my permit receipt"... case closed.

Most judges dont care about stickers as long as you paid for them ....

yada yada yada .... could have bought it and not put it on argument will fall on deaf ears. Cop wont care either.

I am a poster on this board .... believe you me, I have seen the inside of a courtroom many times lol ....
Oh, so you suggest the OP perjure themselves? What a brilliant strategy...not.

The Occultist

This is the best advice you've given since signing up, and that is NOT a good thing because it's terrible advice. If you want to give actual contributions to this website, then by all means, please do so. However, if you'll notice, there aren't a whole lot of members on this board with low post counts, and that tends to be because people causing problems and giving bad advice will end up on the banned list. Just something to keep in mind.

davidmcbeth3

what???

My advice was sound advice, I assumed that the OP has a pic of the car with the sticker able to be seen.

You make it sound like this is a federal case....I'm assuming that the OP has correctly stated the facts accurately.

So if the cop says that the sticker was not there but it was, then the officer is lying under oath. RIGHT? I have seen this occur many times...say you have never seen it & you are lying

The rules should be the same for all ..... let the judge figure out who is right.

It could be that you don't have low posters 'cause you harass them ... you either support our freedoms or you don't.

My advice is just that, advice ... take it or leave it. Seems to me that there is alot of concern over my postings .... is this board run by the government?

davidmcbeth3

isnt ***** an attny?

Registrant:
Advice Company, Advice Company
Advice Company
2330 Marinship Way, Suite 120, PO Box 1739
Sausalito, CA 94966-1739
US
Phone: +1.4153311212

Domain Name: freeadvice.com

Administrative Contact:
**********, *****
Advice Company
Sausalito, CA 94966-1739
US

Billing Contact:
**********, *****
Advice Company
Sausalito, CA 94966-1739
US

Technical Contact:
Admin, Domain
007Names, Inc.
672 Rt 202-206 N
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
US
Phone: +1.9087222211
Fax: +1.9087225517

Administrative Contact:
**********, *****
Advice Company
Sausalito, CA 94966-1739
US

Record expires on: 2020-03-27
Record created on: 1996-03-27
Record last updated on: 2009-06-02

Domain Servers in listed order:

ns.rackspace.com
ns2.rackspace.com

Last edited:

davidmcbeth3

why ***** out *****'s name ??

very odd indeed, just posting some public information ..... ***** (edit the 2nd *****)

2nd edit .... ***** which equals "hfssx" "take next letter cloest to A and replace, I get **** when I type ***** for some reason

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">