• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pittsburgh Parking Permits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aileybay1102

State: Pennsylvania.

Hi all,

I've just recently moved to Pittsburgh to attend Carlow University as an adult student. I live in Squirrel Hill but attend school in Oakland. I've been biking everywhere these first few weeks, but since it's been cold and rainy and I decided to drive my car. I don't have a Carlow student parking pass because I cannot afford it, so I parked on a street 0.5 miles from the school and walked.

I stayed late at school tonight to work on assignments in preparation for a long weekend at my job. When I got to my car, I had a ticket for $45 saying I did not have a residential parking permit. I parked on a street with no meters and away from private driveways, so I thought I was safe. I don't understand what sort of permit I need to park on the street? What's the word on all this--is there public parking anywhere in Pittsburgh???

Also, I can't afford to pay the $45. I am planning on contesting the ticket. Thoughts?

Thanks,
New girl in town

Proserpina

State: Pennsylvania.

Hi all,

I've just recently moved to Pittsburgh to attend Carlow University as an adult student. I live in Squirrel Hill but attend school in Oakland. I've been biking everywhere these first few weeks, but since it's been cold and rainy and I decided to drive my car. I don't have a Carlow student parking pass because I cannot afford it, so I parked on a street 0.5 miles from the school and walked.

I stayed late at school tonight to work on assignments in preparation for a long weekend at my job. When I got to my car, I had a ticket for $45 saying I did not have a residential parking permit. I parked on a street with no meters and away from private driveways, so I thought I was safe. I don't understand what sort of permit I need to park on the street? What's the word on all this--is there public parking anywhere in Pittsburgh???

Also, I can't afford to pay the $45. I am planning on contesting the ticket. Thoughts?

Thanks,
New girl in town

On what basis to you intend to contest the ticket? :confused:

OHRoadwarrior

http://www.pittsburghparking.com/enforcement

The PPA has residential permit areas to protect parking for local residents and merchants. College students, attempting to avoid parking fees appear to be one of the problems they are targeting.

Proserpina

http://www.pittsburghparking.com/enforcement

The PPA has residential permit areas to protect parking for local residents and merchants. College students, attempting to avoid parking fees appear to be one of the problems they are targeting.

Indeed!

I'm also waiting for my better half to get home; he's Pittsburgh born and raised. He'll know if/where there is free parking.

FlyingRon

There are signs all over that area that say "Parking Area D...1 Hour Parking...8AM-6PM"
Everywhere else in the area either has short term (1, 2 hour) or meters. I would suspect you will not find any long term on street parking in that district. The whole area around the colleges (Carnegie Mellon and yours) is surrounded by residential parking zones.

You can't get a permit unless you live there. You can get one for your home zone if you reside within it (there are ones in Squirrel Hill).

anteater

College students, attempting to avoid parking fees appear to be one of the problems they are targeting.
And employees whose employers don't have adequate parking.

Indeed!

I'm also waiting for my better half to get home; he's Pittsburgh born and raised. He'll know if/where there is free parking.
Pittsburgers get down right ornery about their residential parking spaces.

No pierogi for you, alleybay1102!

Proserpina

And employees whose employers don't have adequate parking.

Pittsburgers get down right ornery about their residential parking spaces.

No pierogi for you, alleybay1102!

Parking spots are considered more valuable than a Vinnie pie!

:eek:

On a different note... GO STEELERS! ;) :D

ecmst12

Yup there would definitely be signs saying permit required, you just failed to look for them. Expect that anywhere remotely near school will require a permit or be meter parking. The campus parking permit is probably cheaper than getting tickets every day!

aileybay1102

Indeed!

Great! Let me know if your better half has any helpful hints!

Meanwhile, thanks for the info, all.
I feel silly for having not known about the restrictions, but appreciate the information.
Thumbs down to Pittsburgh...I miss Ohio.

Proserpina

Great! Let me know if your better half has any helpful hints!

Meanwhile, thanks for the info, all.
I feel silly for having not known about the restrictions, but appreciate the information.
Thumbs down to Pittsburgh...I miss Ohio.

The consensus:

There are signs just about everywhere, since Pitt is very adamant about enforcing those things.

Pay the ticket - you have no case here.

ecmst12

I bet the situation is pretty much the same in the towns surrounding OSU, or any other college town.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">