• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pittsburgh parking and yellow curbs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PittsburghGuy

I received a parking ticket in Pittsburgh, PA. The ticket said for parking where prohibited. There IS a sign prohibiting parking, but it is about 70 feet in front of where I had parked. There is also a yellow curb, beginning at this sign and extending back toward where I had parked. This yellow curb then stopped, and there was an area of clearly unpainted curb large enough for 3-4 cars. Then there was a yellow curb again. When I contested this ticket in court, the judge insisted that yellow curbs were no longer law and they are meaningless since they "hadn't been used since the 50's". So according to this judge, it's OK to park next to yellow curbs in Pittsburgh. He also stated that the no parking extends BEFORE the sign. I distinctly remember learning for my driving test that what is on a sign applys only AFTER that sign. He said it extends before the sign to a break in the road, such as a driveway. If this is correct, does anyone know where I can find it in writing?

The judge then insisted that the arrow on the sign on the photo that I brought was pointing back up the street. That doesn't even make sense to me, because the arrow on the no parking sign points to a curb/side of the street. Why would they post a sign that would be sideways and not visible to driving cars?

They also said I had a second parking ticket from one hour before the one I brought with me to court. I never received this ticket, and did not see how I can be ticketed twice, one an hour after the other. Perhaps the ticket blew off my car, I do not know. The judge finally dismissed this second ticket, implying that it was because I was holding up the other people waiting. I guess they don't expect people to actually bring in evidence and take a whole 10 minutes talking to the judge.

It's obvious to me they are simply making excuses. The officer who ticketed the car never showed up, which I'm told is grounds for dismissal of the ticket by itself. Do I have a legitimate case to have an appeal? It is not about the money, I could care less about the $45, it is simply a matter of principle at this point. Is there a place where I can look up the parking laws in Pittsburgh? Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me.

patstew

PittsburghGuy said:
Is there a place where I can look up the parking laws in Pittsburgh? Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me.
Did you call the phone number on the ticket? Surely the people who issued it can direct you to the ordinances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">