• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plain View Doctrine and Parking Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrianHarrison

Illinois. My situation is as follows. I moved to a suburb of Chicago (from a neighboring suburb) eight months ago. About 2 weeks ago, I received a parking ticket citing that I did not have a "valid village parking pass." Not that it matters, but when I moved here, I called the parking office to inquire about any "parking permit" and was told that i did not need one - some sort of mixup I suppose. Being that I work a lot and can't typically make it into the municipal building during their 9-5 business hours, I was unable to go until today. In the meantime, I received another of the same parking tickets. I finally made it in and sufficed to say, my experience with the lady working there was not particularly friendly. Rather than just let me buy a pass for the normal price of $25, she stated that I would have to pay $80 in penalties for not getting one when I first moved here and since they are good for a year beginning 4/1, I would need to buy another one in a month and a half. When I inquired how I was able to receive a parking ticket when my car was parked on private property in a space that I rent, she hands me a paper citing the Plain View Doctrine as their justification. After reviewing it, I do not see how this possibly meets the criteria stated. My car is parked on a private lot that is owned by the condo building in which I rent a unit. First, there is an alley on the back side. There is also a separate private entrance (not an alley, with a posted sign stating "private property, no trespassing") that cuts through the other side. Second, my windshield (where permit sticker would be placed) is not visible from the alley and the only way it would be "in plain sight" is if the officer was already trespassing on private grounds. Thirdly, the whole premise of this doctrine seems unrelated as it repeatedly cites physical items and evidence of a crime (as in objects), not the absence of something.

For reference, the sheet they provided states the following (abbreviated):

There are 6 elements which must be met to satisfy the seizure of evidence:
1. The law enforcement officer must be in a legal capacity or position to come across the said evidence in plain view. In other words the LE must be at the scene either arresting the person, executing a search warrant or other legal circumstances.

((Legal capacity, ok...but driving through the ally with a spotlight looking for parking stickers is an overt act, not a coincidence))

2. The LE must actually observe the item of evidence with their own eyes. The LE must not have done anything illegal to get into the position to view the evidence in question.

((Can't be seen without trespassing first))

3. The LE must observe the item in plain view. They may use a flashlight to assist them. It is prohibited to open a closed container unless they have a warrant. They cannot just have a hunch regarding the evidence.

((Doesn't really apply))

4. The LE may not intrude or invade the privacy of any person under the reasonable expectation of privacy act as it applies to the Constitution.

((Absolutely in violation of this))

5. The LE must have probable cause to believe that the evidence in question falls into one of the following categories:
-Evidence is believed to be stolen or embezzled property
-Evidence was used to commit crimes, typically a weapon
-Evidence is illegal in nature such as drugs
-Evidence will assist LE in the arrest or conviction of an arrestee

6. The LE did not plan on observing the evidence. Under emergency circumstances warrants are not needed, as in arson cases it is essential to find crucial evidence.

((Again, they ticket in the middle of the night, so either they are out of their car looking in windows or with a spotlight...either way, it's overt and seems to violate the fact that they are actively planning on observing))

My questions are:
1. If I chose to fight it, would I have a chance?
2. How ridiculous is the following idea?

I am likely going to be moving again in a couple of months and would like (mostly out of stubborn pride) to avoid giving in to this. Since the only way my windshield is possibly visible from public roads is through the back window at just the right angle and with a pair of binoculars, my idea at this point is to just put one of those windshield sun shields up every night. No law broken and then the only two possible ways it could be seen are either 1) a LE trespassing or 2) the city decides to spend millions on aerial surveillance.

Sorry, it's a little long, I'm just a man who gets hung up on principles and am a little heated by the whole thing. Thanks in advance.

BrianWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

My car is parked on a private lot that is owned by the condo building in which I rent a unit.
What state or local city code were you cited for? (please indicate the code number and the city)

If this is enforceable on private property, then most your other arguments may be moot.

Thirdly, the whole premise of this doctrine seems unrelated as it repeatedly cites physical items and evidence of a crime (as in objects), not the absence of something.
I think it was silly for them to provide you with such a thing anyway as it only seems to serve to muddy the water.

The first thing you need to understand is that no evidence was seized. Your car was parked in plain view without a sticker. Witnessing the offense is sufficient.

Second, an officer or parking enforcement person is not "trespassing" in a place where they have a lawful right to be. If the city requires these permits to park even on private property, then it is arguable that the parking folks have the right to enter onto open private parking lots in the course of their duty to patrol for criminal activity or muni code violations. Trespassing is the UNLAWFUL entry and remaining on to such property. Has the property owner advised the police they are not welcome? Most property owners welcome the cops. And, chances are, the city requires that such complexes allow access to law enforcement and safety personnel ... I know of no city in my state that exempts multiple unit complexes from such requirements, but I suppose IL could be different.

My questions are:
1. If I chose to fight it, would I have a chance?
I do not believe so.

Why not just pay the fine and get the sticker? Your plan here would seem to be on a track to cost you court fees and attorneys fees - hundreds or thousands to save $80.

2. How ridiculous is the following idea?
No law broken and then the only two possible ways it could be seen are either 1) a LE trespassing or 2) the city decides to spend millions on aerial surveillance.
He wouldn't be trespassing.

And if the sticker is supposed to be on the window, it would still have to be visible. But, give it a go if you like. I don't know how they collect on unpaid parking cites in your city, but if they go to collections, you might add $500 on top of what you already owe.

The city or state may also have a law that says that if you are knowingly and intentionally violating the law you can be charged with a mores serious offense. Perhaps they might even boot or tow your car for unpaid cites?

And how about the principle of following the law. If you want to stand on your principle and protest what you feel is a stupid law, that's great. Just be prepared to pay the piper when the time is due.

BrianHarrison

I guess the link didn't come through in its entirety. There was no specific code violation listed on the citation, but I believe it would be covered by 6-2-4.

CdwJava

I think you are out of luck because all such vehicles are required to have a permit.

Per 6-2-1:

Vehicles To Be Licensed:

1. It shall be unlawful for any person residing or having his principal place of business within the village to use or cause or permit any of his agents or employees to use any motor vehicle upon the streets, avenues or alleys of the village unless such vehicle be licensed as provided by law, and unless such vehicle be licensed as provided in this chapter.

2. Each and every vehicle which has been issued a current license by the Illinois secretary of state which is registered to an address in the village shall also have the village license (also known as a vehicle sticker), and the owner of such vehicle, as reflected by the records of the secretary of state's office, shall be responsible for securing the license herein required. If such vehicle is the subject of an agreement for lease or conditional sale, the lessee or conditional vendee shall be treated as if the owner of said vehicle. The regular housing or frequent parking of a motor vehicle in a building or parking area located within the village shall be deemed prima facie evidence of ownership of such vehicle by a person required to obtain the license as provided by this chapter.

3. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle for which a license is required, as provided by this chapter, without such required license displayed as provided by this chapter.
I don't know that you have much of an argument unless you can somehow show that they had absolutely no right to be on the property. As I mentioned, I know of no apartment complex or condo association that prohibits police entry out here, and the cities where I have worked would requires that police and fire be given keys even to gated communities for free access as a condition of their permits.

justalayman

1-3-1: GENERAL PENALTY:

Wherever in this code or in any ordinance of the village, or rule or regulation promulgated by an officer or agency thereof, under authority invested by law or ordinance, the doing of an act is prohibited, or the omission to do any act, is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense and where no specific penalty is provided therefor, the violation of any such provision of this code, ordinance, rule or regulation shall be punished by a fine not exceeding seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00)1, provided, however, that a violation of section 6-1-1/13-111 of this code, operation of second division vehicle without a certificate of valid safety test, shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) nor more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00). Every day that a violation of this code, or any such ordinance, rule or regulation shall continue, shall constitute a separate offense.
I would suggest you are getting off easy. It would appear they can fine you $750 PER DAY that you do not have a permit.

but anyway; as Carl said, about the only defense I can see as well is to question the validity of their presence on the property. You might want to check to see if the condo assoc (or whoever runs the place) has not given carte blanche for the police to enter the grounds. It might also be allowed per statute.
Since that ordinance also makes it illegal to operate a vehicle at all without the sticker, unless you already have a sticker, I don't think I would make waves. They can literally wait outside the gate for you to drive to work and ticket you each time they see you without a sticker and the penalty can apparently be up to $750 per violation. I believe this in one I would just pay and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">