• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police misconduct? Impound code violations..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ΩFreedomΩ

for six months I have fought a police department in impound because they believed I was the legal owner of the car I was stopped in. the legal owner came with registration valid driver's license it was denied by the impound and the police.I called the DMV the impound deny that also. the charges were all dismissed and I go to retrieve my car which they sold they said they alerted Me by trying to send a letter however it wasn't even addressed to the right person the police department and they now admit they knew I wasn't the legal owner. I just saw I was charged with infractions and from my research that does not equal a 30-day impound. I honestly don't know where to go from here as blowing up a city probably be frowned upon..;)
I have documentation and recordings and something needs to be done because I'm sure I'm not the first to tap into and I won't be the last.
Help

ΩFreedomΩ

Never once did the police contact me, since the swear it was me who owned the car, nor the impound..them at the end they both admit they knew all along...I can't go to the police. Tried city hall there..the dmv helped...that's it

CdwJava

ΩFreedomΩ;3400804 said:
for six months I have fought a police department in impound because they believed I was the legal owner of the car I was stopped in. the legal owner came with registration valid driver's license it was denied by the impound and the police.I called the DMV the impound deny that also. the charges were all dismissed and I go to retrieve my car which they sold they said they alerted Me by trying to send a letter however it wasn't even addressed to the right person the police department and they now admit they knew I wasn't the legal owner. I just saw I was charged with infractions and from my research that does not equal a 30-day impound. I honestly don't know where to go from here as blowing up a city probably be frowned upon..;)
I have documentation and recordings and something needs to be done because I'm sure I'm not the first to tap into and I won't be the last.
Help
Okay, if the car was sold then it was because it remained in impound for 31 days or more.

First question: WHY was the car impounded? Was the registration expired? Was the driver arrested? Why?

Second: WHO (at the time of the impound) did the DMV records say the vehicle was registered to? Who did the records say was the legal owner? Did either of those people attempt to retrieve the vehicle prior to 30 days passing?

Understand that state law requires you update your registration info. If you do not keep those records accurate, then the fault is yours. Was the address they sent the notice to the address on the registration? On your license? The address you gave the officer? What?

ΩFreedomΩ

the car was impounded because I was accused of having or not having a license or driving on a suspended license it wasn't even a misdemeanor it wasn't infraction.

no I was not arrested. since 2013 the car has been registered to my ex. I informed them that the following day when I called the police department my ex had called the tow company and the officer who pulled me over the next day.
we were in constant contact with them for 6 months. the tow yard blamed it on the cops and the cops blamed it on the DMV I called all of them the DMV has my ex listed the cops after everything like I said stated yesterday that she was the registered owner.

we made several attempts to get the car but because they believed I was the registered owner they wouldn't release it even though we brought them a copy of the registration we had certified letters from the DMV. then when I go to retrieve the car because the case was dismissed because the cop illegally pulled me over and lied in his report the owner of the tow company advised me he knew since day one it wasn't my car the cops which I have recorded advise me they know it's not my car

ΩFreedomΩ

and as far as the letter they addressed it to the correct address however it wasn't anybody that lived here it was an unknown person. whiied to inform her that 5 minutes earlier she just admitted Steve was the owner so why were they attempting to address it to some off-the-wall and then tried to inform her that 5 minutes earlier she just admitted Steve was the owner so why were they attempting to address it to some off-the-wall female

Silverplum

ΩFreedomΩ;3400936 said:
and as far as the letter they addressed it to the correct address however it wasn't anybody that lived here it was an unknown person. whiied to inform her that 5 minutes earlier she just admitted Steve was the owner so why were they attempting to address it to some off-the-wall and then tried to inform her that 5 minutes earlier she just admitted Steve was the owner so why were they attempting to address it to some off-the-wall female
That makes no sense.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You really need to take your time when composing these posts, English is not your forte' and your posts are very frustrating to read and understand.

CdwJava

ΩFreedomΩ;3400933 said:
the car was impounded because I was accused of having or not having a license or driving on a suspended license it wasn't even a misdemeanor it wasn't infraction.
Actually, driving without a valid license or on a suspended license can be charged as a misdemeanor. Either are grounds to impound pursuant to VC 22651(p).

no I was not arrested.
Were you cited?

since 2013 the car has been registered to my ex. I informed them that the following day when I called the police department my ex had called the tow company and the officer who pulled me over the next day.
Her "call" is not generally going to be sufficient to release the vehicle. ANYONE can be on the other end of the phone line, so they will likely have to need something more than a phone call.

we were in constant contact with them for 6 months. the tow yard blamed it on the cops and the cops blamed it on the DMV I called all of them the DMV has my ex listed the cops after everything like I said stated yesterday that she was the registered owner.
6 months was too late. The registered owner could have gone to the police department and then the impound yard (with the release from the PD) and obtained the car. The registered owner may have also been able to get the vehicle released early. If your ex never showed up to take care of the issue, it is no surprise that the vehicle was sold after 30 days.

we made several attempts to get the car but because they believed I was the registered owner they wouldn't release it even though we brought them a copy of the registration we had certified letters from the DMV.
I'm confused ... you said your "ex" was the registered owner. What papers from the DMV dod you bring the police and the tow yard? The police and the tow yard will act on what the DMV records showed.

then when I go to retrieve the car because the case was dismissed because the cop illegally pulled me over and lied in his report
I am going to guess that no judge made any such statement. A case can be dropped for a host of reasons. What makes you think that the court decided - without a hearing - that the officer "illegally" stopped you and "lied" in his report?

the owner of the tow company advised me he knew since day one it wasn't my car the cops which I have recorded advise me they know it's not my car
That's right. If it is not your car, the ex should have been able to retrieve it. If she was denied the vehicle then your ex may have grounds to sue someone, but that would depend on the details.

CdwJava

ΩFreedomΩ;3400936 said:
The law requires that they send notice to the address of the registered and legal owners. If the R/O and the L/O did not update their address with the DMV, then the fault is theirs.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
ΩFreedomΩ;3400933 said:
I informed them that the following day when I called the police department my ex had called the tow company and the officer who pulled me over the next day.
So you were pulled over the day after the car was impounded??? What car were you driving then?

You are not making a lot of sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">