• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of Fake ID and Reciprocity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ch1327

I was charged with Possession of a Fake ID in Delaware in early March. I was thereby cited immediately for the offense (a Traffic Summons in the state of Delaware) and was scheduled for a hearing with a JOP in New Castle, Delaware. At this hearing I pleaded guilty to the charge with roughly a $200 fine to New Castle County and believed it to be case closed. Today I received a letter in the mail from the Motor Vehicle Commission of New Jersey informing me that as of the end of May, I will be subject to a 90-day driver license suspension in New Jersey with a $100 restoration fee, with a hearing optional (which I fully intend on planning). After looking at the New Jersey Statutes with the knowledge of reciprocity I am aware that New Jersey can act on offenses that occur in other states. However, I do not understand how I can receive a license suspension in New Jersey when I did not receive one in Delaware. Any input is greatly appreciated on this matter. Thank You!

FlyingRon

It's simple, the DLC allows (yea, even requires) them to assign the action as if the offense happened in NJ. You might argue that a fake id isn't a traffic violation that is covered by the compact, though NJ is free to have their own rules on the subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">