• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible license suspension. Will point reduction course help avoid supension?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alexander2869

New York. I live on Long Island. On September 20, 2012 I received a traffic ticket for speeding (79 mph in a 55 mph zone). I pleaded not guilty. My court date is set for February 26, 2013. I already have 3 offenses on my DMV record. First, 2 points in February 2011 for speeding. Second, 2 points in May 2011 for speeding. Third 3 points in February 2012 for cell phone use while driving. That's 7 points in total. If I will found guilty (Suffolk County Traffic Court) I will receive another 6 points for the September 2012 ticket, which will result in a license suspension (over 11 points). Although the February 2011 ticket is more than 18 month old and will not be added, the total still will be 11 points. I just completed an online NYS point reduction course, which should take up to 4 points of my DMV records. My questions are: Will the court put into consideration the point reduction course? Can I assume to be safe, of my license not being suspended, with the completion of the course, hence even with another 6 points, I will have less than 11 points in total?

Thanks for any help :)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
First, 2 points in February 2011 for speeding. Second, 2 points in May 2011 for speeding.
Wrong. There is NO SUCH THING as a two point speeding infraction in New York State. Try again.

Will the court put into consideration the point reduction course?
No. That has NO bearing on your guilt or innocence. Besides, the court does not suspend your license in this case - the DMV does. The court has no say in the matter.

Once you figure out what you've actually been convicted of and how many points are on your record get back to us.

HighwayMan

You do realize that if you get three speeding tickets within 18 months and are adjudicated guilty your license will be REVOKED for a year (regardless of any class you may take)?

Alexander2869

Wrong. There is NO SUCH THING as a two point speeding infraction in New York State. Try again.

Both 2 pointers were originaly 4 pointers, but reduced as part of a plea bargain.

No. That has NO bearing on your guilt or innocence. Besides, the court does not suspend your license in this case - the DMV does. The court has no say in the matter.

Once you figure out what you've actually been convicted of and how many points are on your record get back to us.
I think I very clearly described my situation. Right now I have 7 points on my record (2+2+3). If found guilty on my last speeding ticket, another 6 points will be added. However 2 points of the original 7, I received more than 18 month ago and therefore will not be added to the total. This still leaves me with 11 points (2 speeding +3 cell phone +6 speeding). The point reduction course (completed in 2/13) should wipe out the 3 cell phone points, as they fall in the 18 month range.

Alexander2869

You do realize that if you get three speeding tickets within 18 months and are adjudicated guilty your license will be REVOKED for a year (regardless of any class you may take)?

Yes, I know. Thanks for pointing this out. Luckily this is not the case in my situation (see me first response).

HighwayMan

I think I very clearly described my situation...
You thought wrong because as I said:

(2 speeding +3 cell phone +6 speeding).
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TWO POINT SPEEDING INFRACTION IN NEW YORK STATE.

What you are saying is meaningless. Either you were not convicted of speeding or you have no idea what speed you were convicted of. Bottom line is you apparently have no idea how many points are on your driving record and/or what you were convicted of.

I suggest spending a few dollars and getting a copy of your license abstract from the DMV. This way you will know for sure.

Alexander2869

You thought wrong because as I said:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TWO POINT SPEEDING INFRACTION IN NEW YORK STATE.

What you are saying is meaningless. Either you were not convicted of speeding or you have no idea what speed you were convicted of. Bottom line is you apparently have no idea how many points are on your driving record and/or what you were convicted of.

I suggest spending a few dollars and getting a copy of your license abstract from the DMV. This way you will know for sure.
Both 2 pointers were originaly 4 pointers, but REDUCED as part of a plea bargain. I already have a coppyof my DMV records, confirming the info I stated in my initial posting.

HighwayMan

Both 2 pointers were originaly 4 pointers, but REDUCED as part of a plea bargain. I already have a coppyof my DMV records, confirming the info I stated in my initial posting.
Points DO NOT get reduced by plea bargaining. A court CANNOT reduce the number of points for any given traffic infraction.

Either you did not get convicted of SPEEDING or you're delusional to think you got only two points on your record for each one. If you were convicted of something else then SAY THAT - because the speeding is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what you got the ticket for - it only matters what you were convicted of.

The minimum number of points for a speed is FOUR, except in the case of a non-specific "speed" (as in "speed not reasonable") when it is THREE.

Now, please stop wasting everyone's time and post the correct information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">