• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

preparing DMV case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jalle50319

What is the name of your state? California

I was driving a car with PA license plates in CA when I was pulled over

According to the Officers Statement submitted to the DMV I violated code 5200(A) (not hacing a front plate)

It also states the owner of the car, who at the time was the passenger, told the officer that he was never issued 2 plates from PA

This pullover at 3ishAM resulted in a Minor DUI and failure of proof of insurance. I was never charged with violating the license plate code. The DMV says one option of having the ruling overturned is a unlawful stop.

When doing my research a few weeks ago I stumbled accross a CA case involving a pullover of a AZ car with no front license plate. This pullover resulted in the seizure of $9000 worth of marijuana. The case was dismissed when a law stating that if the state that the car has plates representing doesnt require 2 license plates and the state is a contiguos state to the one that it is in (because it could be a commute) then the law from the license plate issueing state is honored. In other words I didnt need one because in PA you dont need one.

Does anyone anyone know how I can find that law? Is it a CA state law or a federal one? It sounds federal but I have not been able to find that case again.

any other advice?

racer72

There is one little problem in your example for the ticket that was dismissed.

the state is a contiguos state to the one that it is in
The word is contiguous. Now tell me which part of Pennsylvania borders California. That will provide the answer to your question as to whether you can use that case as an excuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">