• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Parking Lot Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briguy

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I entered a PRIVATE parking lot and proceeded to the ticket dispensing machine. During the ticket dispensing procedure, it asked for my stall number, which I did not know, so I returned to my car to find out. I found a man writing a ticket on my vehicle, and despite my explanation, and a good 10 minute arguing session, he still gave me a ticket.

The ticket uses strong language about paying within 15 days or the ticket doubles and will be sent to a collection agency.

I immediately appealed (I also filed a complaint with the BBB for what I saw as unethical practices of issuing tickets before the driver has a chance to purchase a parking pass)

I received an email saying my appeal was denied... the only explanation being the parking attendant "has has always been reliable and conscientious" .

My question (s)--

1) What authority do they have to give a ticket in the first place? (I'm sure there is a legal authority to do so, but I'd thought I'd check)
2) From the "denial" email, I get the indication this is some manager of the parking company just pushing off appeals from his desk into the "denied" box. Wouldn't an appeal have to be heard from an impartial third party? Can I request it be heard by a third party?
3)If I choose to appeal this "appeal" (which they don't have a procedure for), can I take them to small claims court-- eventhough as of yet, no money has changed hands? (I just want the ticket removed)
4) And can they just say, your ticket "doubles" even if there is an ongoing argument about the case??

I'm close to just paying the ticket (which is what I think they pretty much count on) so I don't get the "penalty" and then trying to recover the money later in court.

patstew

I entered a PRIVATE parking lot and proceeded to the ticket dispensing machine. During the ticket dispensing procedure, it asked for my stall number, which I did not know, so I returned to my car to find out. I found a man writing a ticket on my vehicle, and despite my explanation, and a good 10 minute arguing session, he still gave me a ticket.
What's interesting about your post is what you're *not* saying.

What was the reason you were given that the ticket was issued? How much time elapsed between leaving your car and returning to find the stall number? What is the name of the issuing authority on the ticket?

Details, man.

briguy

I was given the ticekt for not displaying a parking ticket in the dashboard. It couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 minutes since the time I left my car, to the time I returned. The ticket was issued by Global PAcific Parking and it states on the ticket "issued by a privately owned and operated company). AT NO TIME DID I EVER LEAVE THE PROPERTY!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">