• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Parking Ticket Inconsistent Judgments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bnormal

At my school (University of California, Irvine), I recently got a parking ticket for parking in the "wrong lot." I was one of several people who got parking tickets in the same row of spots which all of us were under the impression were legal for us to park in.

I traded information with another guy who got the same ticket, just a few cars down, so we could back up each other on the fact that these appear to be completely legal spots to park in. (There is even a sign NEXT to the spots we parked in with an arrow pointing AWAY From our cars and saying THOSE spots were not legal for us to park in, implying our ARE legal!)

Anyhow, we both filed online for ticket reviews, and we basically explained the thing the same way - these were legal spots for us and the sign adds to that fact.

Recently he got an e-mail that basically told him his ticket was dismissed with an explanation that the spots are NOT legal for us to park in (???) and to not park there anymore.

I expected the same, but today I got an e-mail that my ticket was upheld.

What the hell is going on? Is this legal? Is this kind of inconsistent judgment/prejudice allowed?

Since this is not the city but a private citation (by UCI parking), what can I do about this? They say if I want to have another review I have to pay the ticket first. Should I pay and go that route, and hope it goes well, or should I not pay and try some other legal method?

The other guy is willing to give me the information about his ticket dismissal - so could I sue the school for prejudicial citations or something?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

Last edited:

CdwJava

No, your not going to prevail in a lawsuit. You might prevail if you challenge the citation.

What is the code section on the citation? Did you take photos of where you were parked and the signs that you claim gave you permission to be there? Understand that all because some of you felt that you could park there does not mean that you could.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">