• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Ticket Issued on Private Property... With A Twist!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

falconbrad

I live in California...

Alright, so here's the deal. My friend lives in a complex in San Diego that has (well, had) a ton of free guest parking. My girlfriend was taking a long trip, so I took her car, which I was driving at the time while staying at my friend's place and looking for a new apartment.

One day, I realized that there was a "ticket" on the windshield from a private parking firm (the security company that the complex uses). Apparently, the last time I had moved the car, I had moved it into a space that they had re-designated as "Overflow" parking, and these spots now require permits. That's all well and dandy, and I would have moved the car into another spot if I had known that I was parking in a bad spot. But due to a miscommunication with my friend, I thought this change was happening in another area, and not the area that I was parking the car in. To further complicate matters, there were no signs posted anywhere the last time that I had moved stating that these spots were to be re-designated (nor are there any signs anywhere in the complex dealing with parking). They were relying on the residents to tell their guests (which obviously didn't work well in my case).

To FURTHER complicate matters, my girlfriend's car is registered under her father's name in the state of Washington. I did a search on the firm's website for the ticket, and they have photos of the car and where it's parked, so they do know that it has WA plates (that isn't written anywhere on the ticket itself).

So, what to do? I don't want them hounding my GF's dad, but I sure as hell don't want to pay this ($40) ticket, particularly given that they could have easily posted a sign, and this seems like a money grab to me. I don't see that they can enforce this and I know that you can give them the runaround with the collections agencies under the FDCPA. However, I don't want it to get to that point. To dispute the ticket online, you have to give them the name and apartment of the person whom you were visiting (which I'm obviously not going to do), so I would think a reversal of roles is called for. I was going to call them and spew a bunch of (true) legal crap.

Anyone have any thoughts?

falconbrad

Thanks for that wonderful tidbit of legally-oriented advice. Since this is a forum focusing on legal issues, I thought I might actually get some help in that vein. Let's try this again, this time pretending that it's my car.

xylene

We can't have it all.

Thanks for that wonderful tidbit of legally-oriented advice. Since this is a forum focusing on legal issues, I thought I might actually get some help in that vein. Let's try this again, this time pretending that it's my car.
Ok, we don't do hypotheticals

AND

It isn't a hypothetical

It is your friend's dad's car.

If you don't want dad to be involved, then pay.

Otherwise friends dad need to sign off on the appeal. :rolleyes:

ajs09876

Pay the 40.00 and sue your friend in small claims that gave you the wrong information? (I'm trying to put in the eye roll emotion, but it's not working.)

falconbrad

Wow, this turned out to be entirely useless. Won't be coming back here again.

BTW, thanks to everyone who assumed that I'm morally bankrupt. If the responses had been something useful like "Hey, my experience tells me that this will become an issue and that they will send a collections agency after you just to be a pain in the ass," I probably could have figured out that I would be better off simply paying it.

I like that I've received 5 responses, and not one of them has any legal merit (except for circlelimit14... though I have yet to receive any constructive advice).

CdwJava

Legally, this is a civil issue. They can seek payment from the registered owner and even send it to collections if no payment is received. There is no way YOU can prevent the owner of the car from being involved unless the matter is resolved. You can always ignore it, as can the registered owner of the vehicle. That's fine. Whether the firm will try to pursue the violation into collections or not is something I cannot answer.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">