• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Providence Driveway/Sidewalk ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtho8275

To whom it may concern,

I am from the state of Rhode Island. This morning I received a ticket while parked in the driveway. The violation is for parking on the sidewalk in the city of Providence. Now the back-half of my vehicle was on the sidewalk. However, prior to this, I have never nor have I ever known anyone to receive such a violation for a similar situation. In addition, the car is registered in my father's name. Can I fight this? Does my father have to be present? (He is aware of the ticket.) I'm really upset because I was parked in the driveway and I'm a law conscious citizen! Sigh...

Thank you in advance

patstew

jtho8275 said:
The violation is for parking on the sidewalk in the city of Providence. Now the back-half of my vehicle was on the sidewalk.
In my city, which is smaller than Providence, we have several blind people who walk about with canes. Every sidewalk must, at the very least, be kept clear for them.

jtho8275 said:
However, prior to this, I have never nor have I ever known anyone to receive such a violation for a similar situation.
That doesn't mean the ordinance doesn't exist.

jtho8275 said:
In addition, the car is registered in my father's name. Can I fight this? Does my father have to be present? (He is aware of the ticket.)
Did you park it there? If so, I see no reason why you can't be the one who appeals it.
Unless you're a minor, I doubt your father has to be there, but of course you should go to the source for appeal information. Have you called the phone number on the ticket?

jtho8275

Did you park it there? If so, I see no reason why you can't be the one who appeals it.
I did park the vehicle.

Unless you're a minor, I doubt your father has to be there, but of course you should go to the source for appeal information.
I am the primary operator of the vehicle and over the age of 18.

Have you called the phone number on the ticket?
I have yet to call the phone number.

In my city, which is smaller than Providence, we have several blind people who walk about with canes. Every sidewalk must, at the very least, be kept clear for them.
You wouldn't happen to know where I can look up such a law?

Once again, thank you in advance.

efflandt

Basically if the car was parked and any part of it was hanging over the sidewalk, any which direction, you have violated parking on a sidewalk. At least your car was not hanging over into a handicap zone like another poster was cited for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">