• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled-Over While Uninsured/Unreg'd in Montana - Advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geekguy82

For the past 2 months, I have been driving my vehicle around the city without insurance in the state of Montana.

Last month the registration expired, and since then I have neglected to get it reinstated.

Tonight, while taking my girlfriend back to her college dorm, I was pulled over by an officer and given two citations:
  • V8060 - Operating without currently registered plates after Feb 15th (First offense, 0 points, $0 min, $500 max)
  • V9017 - Operating without liability insurance in effect (First offense; 5 points, $250 min, $500 max, possible 10 days in jail)
At this time, my driving record is comprised of 2 speeding tickets in 2005 (less than 15 over each), 1 accident in December of 2004 where I was not deemed at fault in a court of law, and 1 suspension of my drivers license for failing to pay a speeding ticket on-time in 2005.

I have no prior criminal record of any sort, and no judgments against me ever.

I am unsure of where to go from here or what to do, however. I do wish to get this matter resolved as soon as possible, with minimum fine/points, and no jail time, and ideally within the next 2-5 days.

While I am one to believe that honesty is the best policy, I have considered telling the judge that this happened due to a miscommunication with my parents regarding the responsibility for my insurance & registration costs, even though that is not at all the case. I understand this is a gamble, and could be considered perjury if the court asked for evidence/subpoenaed my parents, or if evidence was discovered that is contrary to my story.

I have also considered simply coming clean with the judge, pleading guilty/no-contest, and asking for leniency on the premise that I will re-take driver's safety, perform community service, and promise to report my insurance status each month for a year hereafter.

My apologies for the lengthy post - Any and all comments, thoughts, criticisms, flames, and advice are greatly appreciated! A heart-felt thanks in advance to everyone who replies!!

CLIFFS:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • Living in Montana
  • Driving without liability insurance for around 2 months
  • Driving without vehicle registration since March 31st
  • Pulled over by officer tonight (April 22, 2007)
    • Cited for driving without liability insurance (First offense, 5 points, Min $250, Max $500, possible 10 days jail time)
    • Cited for driving unregistered (First offense, 0 points, Min $0, Max $500, No jail time)
  • No prior criminal record
  • Driving record:
    • 2 speeding tickets early in 2005, less than 15 over limit
    • 1 collision accident in 2004, cited with 'Failure to Yield' but not deemed guilty in court of law
    • 1 license suspension due to failure to pay ticket in 2005
  • Required to appear in municipal court, and curious of best way to approach judge

The Occultist

Reinstate your insurance and bring proof of it to court with you. Often times, the penalties will be decreased, if not outright tossed out the window.

geekguy82

Reinstate your insurance and bring proof of it to court with you. Often times, the penalties will be decreased, if not outright tossed out the window.
Much thanks for your prompt advice Occultist :) I suppose my next questions are...
  • Do I need to report these citations to my new insurance carrier prior to them undergoing judgment in court?
  • I am not required to see the judge until May 3rd (10 days away) - Would it be wise for me to wait until that court date, see him as soon as possible and review my 'action plan' with him (get insurance, get registration renewed), or get my insurance/registration renewed and THEN go see him?

Once again, thank you 100-times-over for your time, consideration, and advice! :D

Get insurance first. Dont say anything to the insurance companies. Until you are found guilty in court, you are not guilty and insurance companies dont need to know what you are accused of.

The Occultist

Get insurance first. Dont say anything to the insurance companies. Until you are found guilty in court, you are not guilty and insurance companies dont need to know what you are accused of.
Agreed, there is absolutely no need to volunteer any information to your insurance company, so don't.

Also, it looks like I didn't specifically mention it in my first post, but same thing with your registration; get it renewed and bring proof of your compliance with you to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">