• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about "no city sticker" ticket in Chicago, IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilgaladriel

This past Friday (July 7) I purchased a brand new Honda Civic from a dealership in Chicago. I drove it off the lot with a temporary license plate. I am a Chicago resident, and was told at the dealership that (1) I did not have to purchase a city sticker until my permanent plates came in and (2) it wouldn't be possible to buy a city sticker until my permanent plates came in. This sounded right to me, but I went to my new car today to find that it had been ticketed on Sunday (the 9th) for not having a city sticker. So I'm wondering if the car dealer was wrong and if I'll have to pay this ticket, or will I be able to sucessfully contest it? I would really appreciate help from anybody with knowledge of the Chicago city sticker law in regards to a brand new car with temporary plates on it. I can't seem to find a clear answer to my question anywhere online. Thanks!

Last edited:

xylene

lilgaladriel said:
(1) I did not have to purchase a city sticker until my permanent plates came in and
False

(2) it wouldn't be possible to buy a city sticker until my permanent plates came in.

True

This sounded right to me,
While what the dealer said that sounded favorable to you, it is not so.

The gap between being able to get the plates and buy the sticker and take delivery of the car is not a loophole that works in your favor, it is an extra expense that screws you over.

lilgaladriel

You are Guilty, honestly, your post was little rude. In no way was I implying that I was going to contest on the grounds "well the car dealer told me so." I was trying to find out exactly what the law is.

Xylene, thanks for your help.

Last edited:

moburkes

Go back to the dealership and speak to the person who told you this. Ask again. When they tell you the same thing, then ask them to speak to the manager. Then ask the manager to pay the ticket for you.

lilgaladriel

Ha, thanks for the idea moburkes. I won't be needing it, though; I just got off the phone with the Chicago City Clerk office and was told that I would be able to contest the ticket on the grounds that anyone purchasing a new car is given a 30-day grace period from the date of the purchase in which to buy a city sticker. Also, it *is* possible to purchase a city sticker with temporary plates, you just have to call the City Clerk's office to update the record once your permanent plates come in. Thus, I will be off to buy a city sticker today so that I don't end up having to contest multiple tickets.

Thanks for your help, everyone! :)

xylene

lilgaladriel said:
Also, it *is* possible to purchase a city sticker with temporary plates, you just have to call the City Clerk's office to update the record once your permanent plates come in.
Hey great news!

Good luck with everything, and tell the clerks office they could certainly make that a little more clear on there website!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">