• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about parking near a fire hydrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raekwon

I live in Humboldt County, CA just outside the Eureka city limit. My house has terrible parking arrangements. The driveway is just about too steep to park in, there is a school crosswalk about 15 feet from one side of my driveway and my neighbors driveway is directly next to mine on the other side. The only place I can really park is in between my driveway opening and the crosswalk or about 50 feet down the road on either side putting me in front of my neigbors homes and my car totally out if sight of out house. Unfortunately, there is a fire hydrant right by the crosswalk as well. I can easily park there without obstructing the hydrant in any way but I am only about 5 feet from it. Blocking my driveway isn't an option because one of us has to get out of the garage and we would constantly playing the car shuffle game just to get out. It is a fairly busy residential street so I don't want to always have to park across the street and worry about traffic when loading and unloading my baby and/or the family dog.

Today I had a paper that looked to be ripped out of the DMV handbook with a couple things highlighted regarding parking near hydrants. I did some research and Vehicle code 22514 says I can't park within 15 feet of a hydrant. I cannot, however find anywhere that tells me the cost of the ticket if I were to get one. I am mainly curious because if this is more of a guideline and not an enforceable law I will continue to park where I do. In no way do I block access to the hydrant from any direction and it is literally the safest place to park near my home by far.

We have lived here since December and this is the first type of notice I have received about my parking. Someone across the street even got a ticket the other day for expired registration but I was not ticketed for my proximity to the hydrant. Maybe the cop did not notice me there but who knows.... Does anyone have info on the cost of the ticket I could get, if there is anyone I can talk to about the parking scenario at my house, etc... Would it even help to contact law enforcement about it? Thanks for any info.

Silverplum

I live in Humboldt County, CA just outside the Eureka city limit. My house has terrible parking arrangements. The driveway is just about too steep to park in, there is a school crosswalk about 15 feet from one side of my driveway and my neighbors driveway is directly next to mine on the other side. The only place I can really park is in between my driveway opening and the crosswalk or about 50 feet down the road on either side putting me in front of my neigbors homes and my car totally out if sight of out house. Unfortunately, there is a fire hydrant right by the crosswalk as well. I can easily park there without obstructing the hydrant in any way but I am only about 5 feet from it. Blocking my driveway isn't an option because one of us has to get out of the garage and we would constantly playing the car shuffle game just to get out. It is a fairly busy residential street so I don't want to always have to park across the street and worry about traffic when loading and unloading my baby and/or the family dog.

Today I had a paper that looked to be ripped out of the DMV handbook with a couple things highlighted regarding parking near hydrants. I did some research and Vehicle code 22514 says I can't park within 15 feet of a hydrant. I cannot, however find anywhere that tells me the cost of the ticket if I were to get one. I am mainly curious because if this is more of a guideline and not an enforceable law I will continue to park where I do. In no way do I block access to the hydrant from any direction and it is literally the safest place to park near my home by far.

We have lived here since December and this is the first type of notice I have received about my parking. Someone across the street even got a ticket the other day for expired registration but I was not ticketed for my proximity to the hydrant. Maybe the cop did not notice me there but who knows.... Does anyone have info on the cost of the ticket I could get, if there is anyone I can talk to about the parking scenario at my house, etc... Would it even help to contact law enforcement about it? Thanks for any info.
You selected the parking situation when you chose the house. Now you have to work around it.

Zig's correct (of course!): the law is not a guideline.

Raekwon

Ok, not a guideline. Fine. Even though i'm not blocking it AT ALL, I can't park there. Sweet. Anyone know how much these tickets run? I'll take one for the team every few months if it means being able to load up my family safely on a daily basis. 15 feet is pretty anal and quite overkill in my specific situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, not a guideline. Fine. Even though i'm not blocking it AT ALL, I can't park there. Sweet. Anyone know how much these tickets run? I'll take one for the team every few months if it means being able to load up my family safely on a daily basis. 15 feet is pretty anal and quite overkill in my specific situation.
And, if your car gets towed?

Silverplum

Just write the city and tell them none of you in the area want the fire hydrant: you'd all rather die in a home-inferno.

Problem solved!

:rolleyes:

CSO286

Do you realize that most tanker trucks are about 30 feet long? There is a reason for the requirement. It's not for you, it's to give the fire department access.

FlyingRon

Do you understand what a fire engine has to do to hook up to the hydrant. The thing is a 6" short and fairly rigid hose that on most engines couples about the center of the long side of the engine.

davidmcbeth3

Do you realize that most tanker trucks are about 30 feet long? There is a reason for the requirement. It's not for you, it's to give the fire department access.
And how can they park a 30' truck into a 30' spot? slide it in ... think again !

CdwJava

If you get cited for the offense, you will learn what the cost is.

To avoid finding out, perhaps you should park more than 15' from the hydrant.

Raekwon

Thank you to the 1 or 2 of you that posted info that is informative and or useful. To the majority of you though, thanks for the worthless, smartass waste of a response. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">