• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question arrest on traffic stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Qasimja

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

i was arrested on the 1/30/11 for having a suspended tag an expired lisence and no insurance but i paid the fees for letting my insurance lapse and got insurance on the 1/28/11 and the cop said it wasnt his problem the computers didnt update because i paid online i have all documentation showing i paid it even has the date online if you go to my states vin number check and input my vin number showing when i paid what are the chances i can get all this thrown out? i also have updated my lisence i moved from another state into georgia and didnt have my birth certificate

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

i was arrested on the 1/30/11 for having a suspended tag an expired lisence and no insurance but i paid the fees for letting my insurance lapse and got insurance on the 1/28/11 and the cop said it wasnt his problem the computers didnt update because i paid online i have all documentation showing i paid it even has the date online if you go to my states vin number check and input my vin number showing when i paid what are the chances i can get all this thrown out? i also have updated my lisence i moved from another state into georgia and didnt have my birth certificate
You were arrested for the license. When did you fix your license?

OHRoadwarrior

chances are, even if you obtained vehicle insurance, you are not covered if you have no license, hence no insurance coverage.

Qasimja

oh i forgot to mention i dont know if this matters but the car is in my wifes name so its insured and registered under her name

OHRoadwarrior

I gathered that already. You would not have been sold a car insurance policy to cover yourself, when you do not have a license. Read the policy. You will find it excludes unlicensed drivers I bet.

Qasimja

ok i get that part so what im asking is what are the chances i can get some of this thrown out if not all

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ok i get that part so what im asking is what are the chances i can get some of this thrown out if not all
If your VEHICLE was properly insured at the time of the stop, you can likely have that reduced or dismissed.
If the vehicle tag was actually cleared up on the day in question, you can likely have that reduced or dismissed.

(paying online Friday does NOT mean that these items were cleared up at the time of your stop)

That brings us to the expired license. You seem to have no defense to that,

Qasimja

oh yes i know i will have to pay a fine for that most likely i would just like to get the other tickets dismissed possibly

Qasimja

but i the reason i asked if i could get THAT charge dismissed was because the last time i went to traffic court the judge asked if anyone was in there for an expired lisence she said show you have a valid lisense and she would dimiss that charge

A judge would have to be in a good mood to let you go of all the charges ... but anything is possible in traffic court. Just have your paperwork in order so you don't waste the judge's time ... if quick about it, he may just say OK.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">