• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question concerning abandoned Vehicle laws.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RileyMont

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

We've got a car we just don't have the money to fix at the moment. It's been in our front yard since it broke down and we've not had the money or time to fix it. But I'm not telling the full story, let me rewind.

We had a dirty yard for a little while and we had a 'nice' cop come up and gave us a week to clean our yard up. We cleaned it up. He said nothing about the truck on our property, gave us not a word about it. The second we clean up the yard he tells us to clean up the truck and just pump up the tires. We did that. Now he's giving us a $300 dollar ticket even though we did was he asked.

Well. This is my question. The truck is only slightly broken down. We could get it working in a couple days time if we had the money and clean weather to get out there to work on it. Is it lawful for a cop to harass a family for 2 weeks on different charges then give them a $300 ticket for an 'abandoned' truck that's on private property and is NOT abandoned?

FlyingRon

Put it in the garage or in a fenced in area or get it registered.
Broken down isn't as big of an issue of not having plates on it.

patstew

Is it lawful for a cop to harass a family for 2 weeks on different charges then give them a $300 ticket for an 'abandoned' truck that's on private property and is NOT abandoned?
What do your local ordinances say about having non-working vehicles in the front yard?

What are the charges and statute number on your ticket?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">