• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

random traffic question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ENortham

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was stopped at a seatbelt check point in my town and told that it was legal for me to wear my seatbelt neck strap behind my head. A few months later, a university police officer at the school I attend followed me to my parking spot and threatened me with a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt. Which one is correct?

Also, after reading a few other posts, I was wondering if there is any time limit that an officer can hold you after being stopped for speeding and you refuse a search. I've heard that they have a specific period of time that they can make you wait until the search dogs arrive but wasn't sure if it was true.

-curious

CdwJava

ENortham said:
I was stopped at a seatbelt check point in my town and told that it was legal for me to wear my seatbelt neck strap behind my head. A few months later, a university police officer at the school I attend followed me to my parking spot and threatened me with a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt. Which one is correct?
I would guess that the officer at the seatbelt checkpoint was correct ... for MD only, however. In my state you could be cited.

But, not knowing the section in MD law that is used for seatbelts (and not wanting to search for it before my first cup of coffee) I can't read what it has to say.

Froma common sense standpoint, not wearing the belt properly sort of renders it's usefulness moot, so why do it?

Also, after reading a few other posts, I was wondering if there is any time limit that an officer can hold you after being stopped for speeding and you refuse a search. I've heard that they have a specific period of time that they can make you wait until the search dogs arrive but wasn't sure if it was true.
Each state and federal Circuit might have a slightly different variation to the theme, but a "reasonable" period of time tends to be that amount of time it takes to conduct the business at hand. Most detentions on a traffic stop should be under 20 minutes - though I have heard some decisions in the 30 minute range. Unless they have sufficient cause to detain further, if you have to be held for more than half an hour SOLELY for them to wait for a dog to walk around your vehicle, I would recommend you consult an attorney.

- Carl

ENortham

http://www.lawlib.state.md.us/seatbelts.html

This is what I found about the seat belts but it doesn't really go into detail about how exactly you have to wear it...I understand I am less safe with the neck belt behind my head but it is much more comfortable for my short self. I will wear it correctly from now on to avoid pesky university police though. :D

The UP officer gave me the same explanation though, it isn't doing its job if it isn't being worn properly...but the city police officer didn't see anything wrong with how I was wearing it other than it was difficult for him to see exactly if I had it clicked or not...said all was well and sent me on my way.

CdwJava

The MD statutes seem to be a little vague on how to wear one properly. So the officer at the checkpoint was probably right given the laws in your state ... though it would still be best to wear them properly or you do render them partially useless. And its a smart move to at least where it properly at the Univ. to avoid the issue.

- Carl

xylene

ENortham said:
.I understand I am less safe with the neck belt behind my head but it is much more comfortable for my short self.
There are devices that adjust the fit of the belt for shorter persons, allowing them to be worn safely, but without annoyance.

Ask about them at an autoparts shop.

The don't cost more than 20 dollars

fairisfair

ENortham said:
http://www.lawlib.state.md.us/seatbelts.html

This is what I found about the seat belts but it doesn't really go into detail about how exactly you have to wear it...I understand I am less safe with the neck belt behind my head but it is much more comfortable for my short self. I will wear it correctly from now on to avoid pesky university police though. :D

The UP officer gave me the same explanation though, it isn't doing its job if it isn't being worn properly...but the city police officer didn't see anything wrong with how I was wearing it other than it was difficult for him to see exactly if I had it clicked or not...said all was well and sent me on my way.
Try one of the padded seat belt covers, it will still wrap around your neck, but doesn't feel like it is cutting your head off!!!:D

DRTDEVL

fairisfair said:
Try one of the padded seat belt covers, it will still wrap around your neck, but doesn't feel like it is cutting your head off!!!:D

No, try a phonebook!!! You can see where you are going, and the seatbelt will fit you properly!:p

DRTDEVL

Hey, I'm allowed to crack short jokes... I get the opposite treatment every day! I can rarely find a new car these days that I actually fit in (6'5").;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">