• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received parking ticket in a Hospital Parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Magicalt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I work at this hospital and due to the employees parking in the public parking lots, the hospital contracted the city to police the lot to prevent employees to park there. The hospital allows employees to park at the lot only if they are there as a patient but not if they are working. I received a parking ticket for parking in the lot (yes I was at work though) and I attempted to contest it by filing that I was there as a patient. The city denied the contest and told me that I need to pay the ticket within 30 days.

My question is that how does the city know if I am a patient or not. Due to health medical laws, the hospital cannot give out this information. Should I take this to court and fight it by saying that I was parked in the public lot (where any patient is allowed to park but I can't park there since I am an employee and have an employee sticker on the vehicle) and I was there as a patient or should I just pay the fine and rip the sticker off my window? :D

justalayman

so, while they couldn't get any info as to whether you were a patient or not, it is easy to ask if you were at work at the time.

the question I have is; how does a private entity essentially alter the laws of the city and require the police to consider an employees car any different than anybody else's car? After all, it is a public parking lot.

Now, your employer can demand you not park there and take action as they see fit if you refuse to abide by their demands while you are on the clock but I do not see how the city can ticket you for it.

CourtClerk

Are you saying that you've already committed perjury and you'd be willing to go to court and commit perjury again?

And are you asking if that's alright?

CdwJava

If it is a public hospital parking can be regulated.

If you were a patient, YOU can show the hearing officer or panel that you were there by providing some documentation that shows you were a patient at the time.

Magicalt

The hospital has a contract with the city since they have handicapped parking, the city regulates the parking lot. How did I commit purgery? By saying I was at work but as a patient (I did see the doctor). My question is that how does the city justify to give a ticket even if they know if I am a patient or not. Do I have any recourse?

CdwJava

The hospital has a contract with the city since they have handicapped parking, the city regulates the parking lot. How did I commit purgery? By saying I was at work but as a patient (I did see the doctor). My question is that how does the city justify to give a ticket even if they know if I am a patient or not. Do I have any recourse?
The city can generally enforce handicapped parking all they want, even without a contract.

Your recourse s to contest the citation using the procedures indicated on the citation. Your appeal will be heard by the assigned hearing officer or panel. If they do not rule in your favor, there is usually one level of appeal above that. If you lose there, then you can take the matter to court. However, if you lose in court you might also be liable for court costs in addition to the fine.

justalayman

If it is a public hospital parking can be regulated.

If you were a patient, YOU can show the hearing officer or panel that you were there by providing some documentation that shows you were a patient at the time.
after the OP's latest posts, what it sounds like is it is a private lot, hospital owned, intended for use by the public (when on hospital business) where the hospital has contracted with the city for parking enforcement.

OP originally stated it is a public parking lot. I had a problem with selective enforcement controlled by a private enterprise by the police on a public lot.

CdwJava

after the OP's latest posts, what it sounds like is it is a private lot, hospital owned, intended for use by the public (when on hospital business) where the hospital has contracted with the city for parking enforcement.

OP originally stated it is a public parking lot. I had a problem with selective enforcement controlled by a private enterprise by the police on a public lot.
There are few instances where parking laws can be enforced on private property. Some local ordinances might enforceable in a private lot, but local hospital regulations would not.

It would help to know what code section was cited. And, since it is likely a local ordinance, the name of the city would help as well.

justalayman

CdwJava;2816472]There are few instances where parking laws can be enforced on private property. Some local ordinances might enforceable in a private lot, but local hospital regulations would not.
even if the owner contracted the police to enforce those laws as if it was a public lot?

If they can't, I guess I'm kind of lost here. Are you saying that some private entity can contract with the police to allow the private entity to control the rules within a public parking lot? If so, how can it be considered a public parking lot any longer. While ownership obviously would remain public, control would be by the private entity so for all practical purposes, it is no longer a public lot.

Magicalt

The ticket states that I was parked in private parking, in a hospital parking lot. This is only given to employees when they are parked in the public hospital lot and not in the employee only lot. But if an employee is parked there as a patient, it is completely fine but the city does not know that. This is where I am a little upset. If I did not have the employee sticker on my car, it would be completely fine to park in the patient area but since I do have a sticker on it, I get a ticket. Violation is 14-802 in a patient parking lot.

SEC. 14-802. - VEHICLES ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.

No person shall operate, drive, or leave any vehicle in, over, or upon private property without the express permission of the owner thereof.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I believe you should be posting in the Criminal Law forum to deal with your perjury.

Aside from that, what city are you in?

Zigner

Ahhh, Fresno.

In any case, you violate the code secion. What more do you want?

Magicalt

Ahhh, Fresno.

In any case, you violate the code secion. What more do you want?
Here is the situation again, I am employee and I received a parking ticket when I parked in the patient public parking stalls which is ok if I am a patient. Since I have a vehicle that has an employee sticker, all employees are given tickets if they are parked in these stalls even if they are there as patients. Since it is NOT a crime to park there but the ticket is given due to a contract with the city, is there a way to fight this.

Zigner

Here is the situation again, I am employee and I received a parking ticket when I parked in the patient public parking stalls which is ok if I am a patient. Since I have a vehicle that has an employee sticker, all employees are given tickets if they are parked in these stalls even if they are there as patients. Since it is NOT a crime to park there but the ticket is given due to a contract with the city, is there a way to fight this.
Here's the answer again. You already stated you were there FOR WORK. As such, you did NOT have the permission of the owner of the lot to park there. Get it NOW? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">