• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved parking ticket, but there was no permit dispenser?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hellothere1227

Hello,

I live in California.

I parked at a Metrolink parking lot (with a parking structure as well) in Norwalk. I noticed that there were signs that said: "Parking by permit only." I was not informed that I needed to buy an additional item when I bought my metrolink pass. So, I looked around for a permit dispenser and there was none.

I saw a sign that had an 800 number, so I called the privately-owned company that managers the parking permits for this parking lot. The representative said: "you need to buy a monthly pass or buy your daily pass online the day before."

I received a ticket. However, I want to know if there is a law out there somewhere that states there at least needs to be a parking permit dispenser on site so I don't have to be ticketed. I kind of feel like it's entrapment.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I live in California.

I parked at a Metrolink parking lot (with a parking structure as well) in Norwalk. I noticed that there were signs that said: "Parking by permit only." I was not informed that I needed to buy an additional item when I bought my metrolink pass. So, I looked around for a permit dispenser and there was none.

I saw a sign that had an 800 number, so I called the privately-owned company that managers the parking permits for this parking lot. The representative said: "you need to buy a monthly pass or buy your daily pass online the day before."

I received a ticket. However, I want to know if there is a law out there somewhere that states there at least needs to be a parking permit dispenser on site so I don't have to be ticketed. I kind of feel like it's entrapment.

No, it's not entrapment. You KNEW you had to have a permit to park there. You KNEW you didn't have a permit, yet you still parked there.

The signs are clear on how you can obtain the permit.

HomeGuru

Hello,

I live in California.

**A: yes it is entrapment. Your pretzel logic is entrapped in your brain. Nice try though.

hellothere1227

No, it's not entrapment. You KNEW you had to have a permit to park there. You KNEW you didn't have a permit, yet you still parked there.

The signs are clear on how you can obtain the permit.

Actually, no. I didn't know I needed a permit until I was on the premises. And I didn't want to miss the train, so I parked.

Every paid parking lot usually has a parking attendant or at the very least, a parking permit dispenser.

But, thanks for your help.

Zigner

Actually, no. I didn't know I needed a permit until I was on the premises. And I didn't want to miss the train, so I parked.

Every paid parking lot usually has a parking attendant or at the very least, a parking permit dispenser.

But, thanks for your help.
You parked, KNOWING that you didn't have the required permit. There are exits...you didn't HAVE to park there.

dan6924

I am new to this site. I am surprised at the attitude of some of the responses.
this sounds exactly like what I would do and say if I were in that situation at the parking lot. If I was out of state I wouldn't pay the ticket.

asiny

...this sounds exactly like what I would do and say if I were in that situation at the parking lot. If I was out of state I wouldn't pay the ticket.
And when you find yourself in the same situation as the OP- you will have a ticket with no valid argument for illegally parking.
In that case you may want to hold off on giving legal advice, until you realise that much of the advice given is based on legal fact- not what people 'think' should be the law- or what they 'think' is entrapment- or that they are 'out of state' so won't pay- or that people come here should expecting 'everything will be alright' or for users to 'back them up' with an argument that will only find them getting further costs to their violation.

this sounds exactly like what I would do and say if I were in that situation at the parking lot. If I was out of state I wouldn't pay the ticket.
Its just that people know where to get the permit for parking .. so its funny to some & they express this in the manner that they do.

In reality, you have no defense UNLESS the ticket has some issues with the information upon it ... why not post it? Remove your IDing info.

justalayman

so, you would park illegally and simply refuse to pay the ticket. Great. Another wannabe Capone.

How about it is the responsibility of the driver to investigate if there is a parking lot available for them to use and what are the requirements to be able to use the lot before they go to the station?. It is a fool that simply drives up to the train station thinking there will be a valet service to take care of your car for you (or any other level of service allowing one to park).

this is really simple though. When a person is confronted with a sign that states:

parking by permit only

and the person does not have a permit, they cannot legally park there.

Zigner

so, you would park illegally and simply refuse to pay the ticket. Great. Another wannabe Capone.

How about it is the responsibility of the driver to investigate if there is a parking lot available for them to use and what are the requirements to be able to use the lot before they go to the station?. It is a fool that simply drives up to the train station thinking there will be a valet service to take care of your car for you (or any other level of service allowing one to park).

this is really simple though. When a person is confronted with a sign that states:

parking by permit only

and the person does not have a permit, they cannot legally park there.
To add to that, the signs state: "Permits may be obtained by calling xxx..."

OP knew s/he wasn't allowed to park there BEFORE s/he parked there. OP deserved the ticket.

OP is also unlucky, because, when they first instituted the permitting system, I parked there once (with no permit) and didn't get a ticket. PHEW!

asiny

In reality, you have no defense UNLESS the ticket has some issues with the information upon it ... why not post it? Remove your IDing info.
OP. DO NOT POST YOUR TICKET. There are many users who know the right questions to ask, to get the answers they need without you having to post your ticket online.
Questions elicit answers.

And, just a little OT, but are any of the regular members finding it a little weird that this is not the 1st time 'wrongmostofthetime' has requested for someone to post their ticket online?

HomeGuru

**A: And I am surprised at the attitude of some of the newbies on this site.

##########
this sounds exactly like what I would do and say if I were in that situation at the parking lot.

**A: ok, twins that are both confused.

#######

If I was out of state I wouldn't pay the ticket.

**A: totally incorrect response.

OP. DO NOT POST YOUR TICKET. There are many users who know the right questions to ask, to get the answers they need without you having to post your ticket online.
Questions elicit answers.

And, just a little OT, but are any of the regular members finding it a little weird that this is not the 1st time 'wrongmostofthetime' has requested for someone to post their ticket online?
You have asked no questions and I'm not going to ask 20 Q....I did ask to remove IDing info.

The OP can choose to or not .. w/o it, I cannot review the ticket to see if there is any technical defect with it.

I'll continue to ask posters to do this, especially for parking tickets as technical defects are generally the best defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">