• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved a ticket for parking within 15 ft of a fire hydrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elmattad

What is the name of your state? Highlands Ranch, Colo
I recieved a ticket on my mother's van for parking to close to a fire hydrant, the van is licenced in Tenn, and on the ticket the police officer wrote Colo plates. Does'nt the curb need to be yellow or something and should'nt there be a sign not to park within 15ft either way, mind you this is a residental neighborhood, the fire hydrant is in my front yard, I was 15 ft excatly away from the fire hydrant, I know this for a fact because I spray painted my curb as to not ever block the fire hydrant, since my mother was badly burned as a child. Please advise what the law excalty states. I can state this to the judge. I also did'nt know that you need to be 5 ft away from a private or public driveway. Where do you find all these laws the easy way?

racer72

You also didn't know about the laws then state you knew the law. I am confused.

42-4-1204. Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places.
(a) Within five feet of a public or private driveway;

(b) Within fifteen feet of a fire hydrant;

Google is your friend.

elmattad

parking within 15 ft of fire hydrant

I only know about the 5 ft from the driveway because of the ticket that I recieved, but was not ticketed for that. I'm a school bus driver so I knew and always have known not to ever block a fire hydrant for obvious reasons. I did not know that there was a 15 ft either way. I now know that because I was issued a ticket. My question was how does a oridanary person like me suppose to know these laws before you are issued a ticket and then learn the hard way. Where are they located because I never saw them on my CDL driving test or on my regular test for a driver's licence. Paula

Happy Trails

elmattad said:
I only know about the 5 ft from the driveway because of the ticket that I recieved, but was not ticketed for that. I'm a school bus driver so I knew and always have known not to ever block a fire hydrant for obvious reasons. I did not know that there was a 15 ft either way. I now know that because I was issued a ticket. My question was how does a oridanary person like me suppose to know these laws before you are issued a ticket and then learn the hard way. Where are they located because I never saw them on my CDL driving test or on my regular test for a driver's licence. Paula
It is in the Colorado Driver's Manual.

10.5 PARKING
There are several locations where it is forbidden to stop or park a vehicle. Among these are:

• On a crosswalk, sidewalk, bridge, elevated structure, railroad tracks, or any controlled access highway.

• Within 30 feet of a traffic signal, stop sign, railroad crossing or within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.

• Within an intersection, tunnel, runaway truck ramp, on/off ramp, or blocking a driveway.
Where parking is permitted, your vehicle must be within 12 inches of the curb or as close as possible to the outside edge of the shoulder, so that traffic will not be impeded.
Leave the car in low gear if headed uphill and in reverse gear if headed downhill or in park position if your vehicle has automatic transmission. Set the emergency brake and
remember to remove the ignition key when leaving the car.
From this link, page six: http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/formspdf/DRP233713-18.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">