• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light violation notice addressed to unknown individual with my registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Soloma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A red light violation was sent to me via mail and since it was not me, I responded to the city with a copy of my driver's license and a statement that basically said the license doesn't match the person pictured in the notice. I did not wish to identify the driver, so in the letter I invoked my 5th amendment right because it is the court's responsibility to prove guilt. I found out later that this was a snitch ticket that I did not need to respond to.

A week later I received an actual ticket sent to my address listing me as the car's registered owner but citing the ticket to someone I have never heard of. The notice for bail was also addressed to this same person who does not live at my address. Will my registration get flagged if I choose to send the same information as I did before letting the court know that the person in the image does not match the ID of the registrant and they are unknown to me?

Thanks

Just Blue

A red light violation was sent to me via mail and since it was not me, I responded to the city with a copy of my driver's license and a statement that basically said the license doesn't match the person pictured in the notice. I did not wish to identify the driver, so in the letter I invoked my 5th amendment right because it is the court's responsibility to prove guilt. I found out later that this was a snitch ticket that I did not need to respond to.

A week later I received an actual ticket sent to my address listing me as the car's registered owner but citing the ticket to someone I have never heard of. The notice for bail was also addressed to this same person who does not live at my address. Will my registration get flagged if I choose to send the same information as I did before letting the court know that the person in the image does not match the ID of the registrant and they are unknown to me?

Thanks
5th Amendment does not apply in this situation. :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thanks
You have already violated your own fifth amendment right by responding. Not to mention you can still be charged and convicted with no response because it is your registration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">