• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding Registration Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tychobrahe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?: California

Hi there! I had a quick question concerning a registration violation I was cited for several weeks back. I just got the mail today with the citation, and have been scouring the web trying to find out if I can correct and pay this by mail. Some websites say that all I have to do is mail in a copy of my valid registration from the DMV along with the correction fee to the court, while others say that I have to go to a police or sheriff's station and correct this in person. Which process would I have to take with a registration violation? It would be much more convenient for me to be able to just send in everything by mail, as I have a very tight schedule. Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?: California

Hi there! I had a quick question concerning a registration violation I was cited for several weeks back. I just got the mail today with the citation, and have been scouring the web trying to find out if I can correct and pay this by mail. Some websites say that all I have to do is mail in a copy of my valid registration from the DMV along with the correction fee to the court, while others say that I have to go to a police or sheriff's station and correct this in person. Which process would I have to take with a registration violation? It would be much more convenient for me to be able to just send in everything by mail, as I have a very tight schedule. Any insight on this would be much appreciated.
Your citation should indicate a court appearance date and time. You can also contact the court and ask about your options if the options are not clearly spelled out on the back of the citation or in any courtesy notice you might receive in the mail.

Typically, these are correctable violations. That means that you can go to the DMV, obtain a valid registration (that means getting the VALID registration, and not merely paying the fees while waiting for smog or proof of insurance if required). Once you have valid registration, you can go to the local police station - or attend the court hearing - and have the citation signed off as corrected. At that point you should be on the hook only for a $25 administrative fee (though that might have gone up - I haven't checked).

Your local court might also have a website that gives this information as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">