+ Reply to Thread
    justin87 is offline Junior Member

Registration issue, what happens if I get pulled over?

Alabama

I recently, under bad judgment, purchased a vehicle from an idividual in Florida on 10/12/08. The individual had not yet registered the vehicle from when bought it from another private seller on 8/06/08. The title was signed only with the seller and date of 8/06/08. The title was signed incorrectly (not full name on title and in RED INK!). I took it and a bill of sale to the DMV and they would not register the vehicle but gave me a correction affidavit to fill out and return. The owner on the title has to sign it and get it notarized. I have contacted him a week ago and he agreed to sign the paper and have it notarized. However he is a slacker and has not yet signed the paper and will not return calls. The person who sold me the car is trying to get ahold of him to get him to do it. So as I stand I have a bill of sale and the title in the car with me. It has the owner on the titles tag (still valid) but no registration papers. I have proof of insurance from my insurance company. So, what would happen if I were to get pulled over? I am worried that I should cease to drive the car as I don't know what legal consequences I could be getting into. I do not make much money and would not be able to pay hefty legal fines.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    You should not drive the vehicle until it is legal to do so.
    patstew is offline Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by justin87 View Post
    So, what would happen if I were to get pulled over? I am worried that I should cease to drive the car as I don't know what legal consequences I could be getting into. I do not make much money and would not be able to pay hefty legal fines.
    Hefty fines are probably what you would get -- one for driving an unregistered vehicle, and a honking big fee from the yard where your vehicle is towed. Call your local police for further info, as these can vary from place to place.