• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

registration sticker expired but registration currect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bung_ho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Ok, I tried searching but didn't find my exact situation, so my question is how much of a leg do I have to stand on, if my registration sticker was expired, but I had renewed the registration online the week before the expiration? My credit card was charged several days before the expiration date, but the sticker did not come in time and hence the ticket.

Any chance? Thanks.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Ok, I tried searching but didn't find my exact situation, so my question is how much of a leg do I have to stand on, if my registration sticker was expired, but I had renewed the registration online the week before the expiration? My credit card was charged several days before the expiration date, but the sticker did not come in time and hence the ticket.

Any chance? Thanks.
You couldn't have tried searching too much, because I know I answered this exact question at least twice already.

Short answer? 0% chance - the law requires you to "display" a valid registration, not "have" one.

You Are Guilty

0%? Meaning you don't think they'd even reduce it?

Thanks for the reply.
No, that's not what I said as that's not what you asked :)

The "law" requires you to validly display it. If you contest the ticket, if the ALJ strictly follows the law, you lose. Most ALJs do. However, every now and then, one with a conscience sneaks in and is willing to use common sense and compassion. They may reduce/dismiss the ticket if you show proof of the new reggy (and proof of it currently on the windshield wouldn't hurt either).

Barring that, if you are in NYC, you may be eligible for a "settlement" - a 15-20% reduction in the fine in exchange for you pleading guilty and not fighting it. You may also have an out if the ticket is filled out incorrectly - do a search for NYC parking tickets and you'll find a few dozen posts explaining what info on the ticket needs to be correct and what info doesn't.

Good luck.

OP85063

I got mine dismissed.

After I got my ticket, the reg came a week and 1/2 later. I removed the old one, replace the new one, take a picture of it and take it in with me and show the judge that I did have a valid reg.

This works for me, and I in NYC also.

I feel I don't deserve the ticket, as the reg takes 3 weeks to come in the mail, so why should I pay for something that I already have and paid for?!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After I got my ticket, the reg came a week and 1/2 later. I removed the old one, replace the new one, take a picture of it and take it in with me and show the judge that I did have a valid reg.

This works for me, and I in NYC also.

I feel I don't deserve the ticket, as the reg takes 3 weeks to come in the mail, so why should I pay for something that I already have and paid for?!!
Because, a smart course of action is to not wait until the last moment to renew your registration.

You Are Guilty

Or don't renew by mail?

Anyway, I thought I was clear. They CAN dismiss based on your renewal. They are not, in any way, REQUIRED to do so.

OP85063

I would never renew by mail again, but I did it almost a month ahead hoping to get it by the time it expire, but it did not come in time.

I am not sure not going to pay a ticket I get because of it, I do admit part of it is my fault because if I don't have it in hand the car should be in a garage, but I saw a way out and I took it.

Indiana Filer

I would never renew by mail again, but I did it almost a month ahead hoping to get it by the time it expire, but it did not come in time.

I am not sure not going to pay a ticket I get because of it, I do admit part of it is my fault because if I don't have it in hand the car should be in a garage, but I saw a way out and I took it.
If you ever do renew by mail again, but fail to get your new registration in time, go in person to the BMV (or DMV) and request a temporary registration to last until you get the official one in the mail. They should give you a paper that you could show to prove that you registered, but just didn't get the sticker in time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">