• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registration Sticker Expired -Parking ticket (j)(3)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonsax

NYC, New York

Can you tell me if there is a way to fight a parking ticket for an expired vehicle registration sticker? I was a few days past due on getting it renewed, but I took care of it that day, and so I'm wondering if there's a way to fight it. What are the statues? Is there a 60-day period where if you send proof of registration you can get it dismissed? I'm pretty sure with the Traffic Violations Bureau, that is the case, but parking is a whole different city department. And by the way, what the hell is the parking violations people issuing tickets for vehicle registration issues anyway!?!?! Isn't that sort of illegal or something?

moburkes

Are you saying that you thought that an expiratioin date didn't mean expiration date, and that is your reason for fighting the ticket?

jonsax

I know I was late...

Yes, I realize I was late, but my question is what are the statues as far as if you get the sticker up to date? I know with the Traffic Violations they give you time to get everything straight (30 or 60 days or something) and you can see a judge and he'll dismiss it as long as it's done within that grace period.

Also, my new registration shows an expiration date of 9/29/08, and the old one expired 9/29/06, which shows no lapse in registration, so then I could use the argument that my car was registered but the sticker wasn't put on. But I don't want to have to pull the lying card if I have a grace period to get the ticket dismissed.

moburkes

There is no law that says, after you've ben caught breaking the law, and are no longer breaking the law, that you will be given a "break".

gawm

It is not uncommon for judges to reduce the fine if you can show them you are in compliance by the time you go to court.

The Occultist

NYC, New York

Can you tell me if there is a way to fight a parking ticket for an expired vehicle registration sticker? I was a few days past due on getting it renewed, but I took care of it that day, and so I'm wondering if there's a way to fight it. What are the statues? Is there a 60-day period where if you send proof of registration you can get it dismissed? I'm pretty sure with the Traffic Violations Bureau, that is the case, but parking is a whole different city department. And by the way, what the hell is the parking violations people issuing tickets for vehicle registration issues anyway!?!?! Isn't that sort of illegal or something?
I'm sorry, I don't think I read that properly. Did you just ask if it was illegal for citations to be issued for breaking the law??

gawm

There is no statute. It all depends on how good of a mood the judge is in that day. Wear a tie, acknowledge your mistake, and be very respectful. Show proof you are in compliance and then there's nothing more you can do. It's all up to the judge after that.

jonsax

I'm sorry, I don't think I read that properly. Did you just ask if it was illegal for citations to be issued for breaking the law??
No, you've missed my point. I'm just wondering what business NYC PARKING VIOLATIONS has in issuing tickets for vehicle registration if NYC TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS already does that? Obviously it is there business... They'll try and fine you for whatever they can whenever they can because they're greedy...

Also, Parking Violations issues a ticket if your car is parked and not registered. I've always thought that there's no crime in that. The crime, as far as I knew, is when you are not registered WHILE OPERATING THE VEHICLE. And traffic violations issues their own separate ticket for that, in which there is in fact a grace period where you can get that ticket dismissed. It's similar to getting a ticket for driving without a license and then sending in a photocopy of your license to get it dismissed.

in response to Moburkes: "There is no law that says, after you've been caught breaking the law, and are no longer breaking the law, that you will be given a 'break'."

Okay first off, I hear you. You don't have be be sarcastic. I realize that I've been given a ticket for non-compliance and you don't have to keep patronizing me about it... Now for the third and final time I will say TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS WILL DISMISS YOUR TICKET if you go to the judge within 60 days and show compliance. The reason I know this is because I went to DVM yesterday and they told me this. But they said that since it was issued by PARKING VIOLATIONS, that I have to go to a different department way downtown. So... All I'm trying to assertain without all the sarcastic cracks, is DOES NYC PARKING VIOLATIONS have the same statutes as TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS? Because if they do, then I'll get it dismissed.

Please don't write back with sarcasm... I really don't appreciate it...

You Are Guilty

Good god. There is so many things wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin.

Yes, I realize I was late, but my question is what are the statues as far as if you get the sticker up to date?
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/pdf/trafrule.pdf (page 30)
You have the right to a ticket. If you choose not to pay the ticket, you have the right to contest it at the PVB. If you get the sticker up to date, you have the right to tell the PVB ALJ that at your hearing.

I know with the Traffic Violations they give you time to get everything straight (30 or 60 days or something) and you can see a judge and he'll dismiss it as long as it's done within that grace period.
Well... no, just no. Certain "fix-it" tickets (e.g. tint, burnt bulb) MAY, at the discretion of the issuing agency, be dismissed if the problem is rectified within 24 hours, and certified to be so (usually, inspected by a police officer and they sign a form). There is absolutely no requirement that such tickets be dismissed, and the timeframe is certainly nowhere near 2 months.

Also, my new registration shows an expiration date of 9/29/08, and the old one expired 9/29/06, which shows no lapse in registration, so then I could use the argument that my car was registered but the sticker wasn't put on.
What you fail to recognize, and what every ALJ knows, is that even if you have a valid registration sticker, if it's not displayed, you can still get a (valid) ticket for the lack of proper display. So the expiration dates are utterly irrelevant.

But I don't want to have to pull the lying card if I have a grace period to get the ticket dismissed.
Sure - the grace period were the two years before it expired. But please feel free to pull the "lying card". The PVB never heard your excuse before and I'm sure it will work. :rolleyes:

(If you care to do to honest thing - call the PVB and ask for a "settlement". They'll knock 25% off the fine just for asking).

The Occultist

No, you've missed my point. I'm just wondering what business NYC PARKING VIOLATIONS has in issuing tickets for vehicle registration if NYC TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS already does that? Obviously it is there business... They'll try and fine you for whatever they can whenever they can because they're greedy...
Again, are you kidding me?? You think the officer sees more money in their paycheck for writing you that citation? Give me a break.

Also, Parking Violations issues a ticket if your car is parked and not registered. I've always thought that there's no crime in that. The crime, as far as I knew, is when you are not registered WHILE OPERATING THE VEHICLE.
Wrong again! The vehicle cannot even be in a publicly accessible area if registration is not current. That means it cannot even sit on your driveway!! If tags are expired, your vehicle must be in your garage in an otherwise fenced off area (I suppose your backyard works).

And traffic violations issues their own separate ticket for that, in which there is in fact a grace period where you can get that ticket dismissed. It's similar to getting a ticket for driving without a license and then sending in a photocopy of your license to get it dismissed.
You're close to the truth here, but you're still wrong. The court does not have to dismiss the ticket for driving without a license. They usually are nice about it and will do it, but the citation isn't for driving unlicensed, it's for driving without a license on you, so even if you show them a valid license after the fact, they absolutely do not have to drop the charge. And there is no guarunteed grace period!! I don't know where you got this, but it simply isn't true.

Now for the third and final time I will say TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS WILL DISMISS YOUR TICKET if you go to the judge within 60 days and show compliance. The reason I know this is because I went to DVM yesterday and they told me this. But they said that since it was issued by PARKING VIOLATIONS, that I have to go to a different department way downtown. So... All I'm trying to assertain without all the sarcastic cracks, is DOES NYC PARKING VIOLATIONS have the same statutes as TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS? Because if they do, then I'll get it dismissed.
Seriously, there are no statutes that state that they have to dismiss the case based on compliance after the citation is written. Either you misunderstood the person at the DVM, or they mispoke; I'm sure the intended message might have been that the court will usually dismiss the charge based on compliance, but there is no statute that states they must, and they don't have to!! Get that through your head.

Yes, you have a good chance of getting it dismissed. I will almost guaruntee that you will at the very least see a reduction in the fine. However, not if you try the aformentioned "lying card".

jonsax

thanks...

well, thanks to all of you who've taken the time to write and post your advice and sarcastic jabbs... Much appreciated... I'll update with the verdict.

btw the clerk at traffic court was the one who told me about the 60 days thing. I guess he didn't know what he was talking about... he didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about in retrospect...

ta ta for now... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">