• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car - parking ticket with wrong state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rivers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I rented a car with a TX license plate for a couple of days and at one point had received a parking ticket for being parked in front of a stop sign, but it had a different state listed. I took photos of the car, but am wondering who I really need to contact and how to dispute it so that I don't get fined - either through the state or the rental agency. I had rented through Budget. TIA.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The most likely outcome is that the rental agency will receive the citation, pay it and then charge your credit card.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...but am wondering who I really need to contact and how to dispute it so that I don't get fined...
Follow whatever adjudication procedures are listed on the violation notice. What is the mystery to that?

It makes no difference if it was a rental - enter a not guilty and follow through.

rivers

Ok, but if the rental ends up paying for it, then I'll have to reimburse the rental co, and am out the money (and extra time used).

HighwayMan

This was a parking ticket, right?

You got it by taking off the car when you returned to it, right? How else would you know you got one?

So how will the rental company just charge you for it? You will be charged if you ignore it or don't pay it after being adjudicated guilty.

At this stage of the game the rental company does not know the ticket exists. How can they?

You want to take the simple route? PAY THE TICKET since you admitted you were guilty. Then there's no waste of time or extra money.

If not, then adjudicate it. Upon completion either you'll be acquitted or you have to pay.

I really don't understand what the issue here is.

Last edited:

rivers

This was a parking ticket, right?

You got it by taking off the car when you returned to it, right? How else would you know you got one?

So how will the rental company just charge you for it? You will be charged if you ignore it or don't pay it after being adjudicated guilty.

At this stage of the game the rental company does not know the ticket exists. How can they?

You want to take the simple route? PAY THE TICKET since you admitted you were guilty. Then there's no waste of time or extra money.

If not, then adjudicate it. Upon completion either you'll be acquitted or you have to pay.

I really don't understand what the issue here is.
OK. I understand. It was just that the parking ticket named the wrong vehicle as being charged. I never drove a vehicle with such a license plate. Same as if the lic. plate number is off by 1 digit or letter. But yes, you are right. Simple route is to pay it.

HighwayMan

OK. I understand. It was just that the parking ticket named the wrong vehicle as being charged. I never drove a vehicle with such a license plate. Same as if the lic. plate number is off by 1 digit or letter. But yes, you are right. Simple route is to pay it.
The point is you will not be charged by the rental company just because you got the ticket - that seems to be your main concern.

Do you have a copy of the registration from the car you rented or the rental agreement indicating the plate/state of the vehicle? That might make it relatively easy to fight and win.

You can fight the ticket, but if you lose you'll have to pay - either directly or by being charged by the rental company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">