• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residential Parking Tic in Mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sneeze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois Chicago

I have never gotten a ticket for a residential parking only violation in the mail before. If I had gotten it right there and then like the usual ticket on the windshield then I would not hesitate to pay. However, this ticket in the mail provided no proof other than the word of whoever wrote my license plate down. Can I write in a contest letter asking for proof that I was parked on that street and on that time of day?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois Chicago

I have never gotten a ticket for a residential parking only violation in the mail before. If I had gotten it right there and then like the usual ticket on the windshield then I would not hesitate to pay. However, this ticket in the mail provided no proof other than the word of whoever wrote my license plate down. Can I write in a contest letter asking for proof that I was parked on that street and on that time of day?
No, but I'm sure you can request a copy of the ticket itself that lists the issuing officer. And when you go into court, the officer will probably be there to testify as to the validity of the ticket.

Just because the ticket came through the mail doesn't mean it's bogus. It's entirely possible that they put a paper ticket on your vehicle at the time of issuance. Some obnoxious people like to remove tickets from people's cars (they think it's funny), or it might have even blown away in the wind/rain. There are so many possibilities why you didn't get to see the paper ticket.

sneeze

thanks for the reply. The thing is, if an officer did leave a paper ticket then why would the city mail me violation letter? They would have no way of knowing if something had happened to the original ticket if I in fact did receive one. The mailed ticket just listed the violation, time, date, and all of that but did not provide who issued the ticket to me. I believe I can at least argue on that and request more information before I can admit to the violation. What would happen if it isn't ruled in my favor? Do I have to pay an extra fee? Do not want to go to court, I just want to mail in my contest letter and get a response hoping to it be in my favor. If not I will just pay. Nothing to lose?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">