• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

resolved: a driver's license is for commercial use, so is registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
any State, any Country.

A driver's license is a professional or trade authorization. A 'regular' DL is valid to drive a taxicab. there is no further endorsement needed.

The term "commercial vehicle" is a word of art meaning a heavy class of truck, based on weight or size. Post Office vehicles do not have plates and are nor required to be registered; drivers thereon are exempt by law from licensing.

translation= business or commerce is the subject-matter of licensure and registration. federal business is exempt because the states dont have jurisdiction over interstate commerce. state business or commerce is subject to requirements.

leaving private noncommercial nonbusiness motoring excluded altogether from the framework of licensing, registration, and insurance. private motorists are not operating in privilege. all vehicle statutes agree in every state. pick any and i will prove it from the record.

at least one judge in philadelphia agrees with me. 4 citations quashed. PPA still stole my car... "parking wars".

if my operating privilege was suspended (it is not), could i still drive a post office truck? we're exempt anyway in that circumstance. the answer is yes. so even if my privilege is suspended, i can still drive a private automobile, at the other end of the spectrum.

racer72

A driver's license is a professional or trade authorization. A 'regular' DL is valid to drive a taxicab. there is no further endorsement needed.
Wrong. My state and all other require taxi drivers to obtain additional licensing, usually called a "hack" license. To obtain a hack license, additional testing above what is required to obtain a regular driver's license is required. A decent driving record, a valid driver's and hack license was a prerequisite to getting a job as a taxi driver.

The term "commercial vehicle" is a word of art meaning a heavy class of truck, based on weight or size. Post Office vehicles do not have plates and are nor required to be registered; drivers thereon are exempt by law from licensing.
Wrong again. Postal vehicles have US government license plates. The USPS does not have to pay state licensing fees but the vehicles must pass state vehicle emission testing requirements. The USPS requires all drivers to have a valid state driver's license and must also pass an addition yearly written exam. Failure of either can result in the loss of one's USPS job.

I'm going to end the argument here. You are clearly an idiot looking for a fight.

racer72, former licensed hack and USPS employee.

OHRoadwarrior

Further, commercial licenses are governed by Federal law. Private drivers licenses are a privilege required and granted by state law.

What medications do you use to dream this stuff up? You need to send it to college.

You Are Guilty

any State, any Country.

translation= business or commerce is the subject-matter of licensure and registration. federal business is exempt because the states dont have jurisdiction over interstate commerce. state business or commerce is subject to requirements.

leaving private noncommercial nonbusiness motoring excluded altogether from the framework of licensing, registration, and insurance. private motorists are not operating in privilege. all vehicle statutes agree in every state. pick any and i will prove it from the record.

at least one judge in philadelphia agrees with me. 4 citations quashed. PPA still stole my car... "parking wars".

if my operating privilege was suspended (it is not), could i still drive a post office truck? we're exempt anyway in that circumstance. the answer is yes. so even if my privilege is suspended, i can still drive a private automobile, at the other end of the spectrum.
Does the asylum know that you've figured out how to get on to the internet? Anyway, your cousin Dillon called and said to come home.

your alleged hack license was not issued by the DOT. it was not issued under any vehicle code. if you didnt have one and were caught driving the cab anyway, you would not have been cjarged for 'no DL' under the State Vehicle Code.

There is no such thing as a U.S. registration plate, there being no such thing as a United States vehicle code. Anyone with eyes can see no post office vehicle has plates of any description.

The internal policies of USPS are not the subject of this discussion. If thats the best you can do, I ll take the vote of confidence for a yes. But since you ll never be back to reply we ll never know how stupid you really are or if this is the limit of your cretinosity.

FlyingRon

Sorry beagle. While there is no federal "vehicle code" (and nobody said there was), there are federal plates and the USPS and other government organzations do have REGULATIONS on vehicle use.

The federal government very much establishes the requirements for CDL's. While each state has their implements their own rules and issues the licenses, they MUST (and do) comply with the federal law or lose their federal highway funding.

justalayman

from http://www.apwu.org/dept/ind-rel/sh/shirk/Hyperlinks/PO-701%20Fleet%20Management.pdf

221.34 P-Tags and License Plates

221.342 Installation. P-tags or license plates are
not required on postal-owned vehicles which are
readily identifiable as postal-owned and conform
to the registered trademark (@) postal color
scheme, bear the Postal Service emblems (decals)
prescribed, and have vehicle numbers displayed
front and rear in at least 2-1/2 inch numbers.
This provision does not apply to vehicles regularly based or housed in the District of Columbia,
for which special instructions have been issued.
Vehicles assigned within the District of Columbia
must display license plates and original registration certificates. Original certificates will be automatically renewed. However, drivers who are
ticketed for the absence of registration certificates
should submit those tickets to the fleet manager.
The fleet manager should, in accordance with
Section 667.1, ELM, submit the ticket to the
regional counsel, Eastern Region, for processing.
The fleet manager should request duplicate registration certificates, and a copy of that request
should be placed in the vehicle pending receipt of
a duplicate certificate.

221.342 Exceptions. Except as provided above, all
other postal vehicles must be identified by P-tags.
P-tags can be ordered from both Eastern and
Western Area Supply Centers. DP at the division
should maintain a log of P-tags issued for control
purposes. MSC managers/postmasters may issue
exceptions on a case-by-case basis for MSC vehicles which may require state license plates instead of P-tags. Regional Chief Inspectors may
also issue exceptions on a case-by-case basis.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&redir_esc=&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-browser-type&v=133247963&qsubts=1355002002194&q=is+there+a+special+license+for+taxi+drivers&v=133247963

apparently NY is an exception. All these other States a regular DL is valid.

I can still carry cargo in NY for hire on a regular DL; and maybe passengers outside of taxi service. Like a private contract- carrier.

Point was, a DL is and remains some kind of an occuational permission. All transportation activity is commerce, all transportation here is carrier service. Thats what licensing is about and thats why federal transportaion is exempt, must be exempted.

And conversely, why all private noncomerce motoring is inherently excluded.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My state requires special licenses to drive a taxi. They're issued by the municipality, not the state, but they are required.

leaving private noncommercial nonbusiness motoring excluded altogether from the framework of licensing, registration, and insurance.
I believe a driver's license is more about regulating the roads, and not the commercial activity that takes place on those roads. The reason for special licensing for certain types of vehicles is not because of their operation in commerce, but because of their unique characteristics that make their operation different from normal cars and trucks. Many government vehicles get exemption status with regard to registration fees, but again, this is not related to their commercial character. I would presume that the operators of these vehicles are still subject to licensing requirements.

It's an interesting theory, but it's doubtful that the law would ever be read the way you want it to be read.

CdwJava

Gee, my state requires a driver's license to operate most any motor vehicle on a public roadway. Illegalbeagle, your single anecdotal case without any details does NOT prove that a driver's license is not required to operate a private vehicle.

If you have any CONTROLLING and valid case law that undoes about a century of prior jurisprudence and has gone entirely unrecognized by state and federal judiciary, I'd love to see it.

TigerD

I used to own a cab company. I can assume you that there are licensing requirements that exceed that required of the average driver for cabbies.

You need a chauffeur's license in Missouri, which is a different test and different rules/penalties on the road. For example, a cabbie getting a no seatbelt ticket has to fork over more than $100. A non-cabbie pays $10. Most municipalities require a city license for the cab and a separate one for each driver -- not to mention a master license for the company.

But, really, you knew that.

Perhaps you should peddle that "sovereign/patriot/voluntarist" crap somewhere with uneducated people likely to believe that there is some loophole that only the smokey few know about that absolves you of all legal responsibility. Next you are going to tell us to ask if the court is founded on admiralty law and if we are aware that the Articles of Confederation were not properly dissolved, therefore the Constitution is an illegal usurpation of your freedoms and a contract to which you have not agreed. Sorry, Charlie. That ship sailed a couple of centuries ago. If the pure lunacy of your argument wasn't enough to laugh it out of court. You are estopped on the basis of your acceptance of the rights and privileges of citizenship.

Now that I am done laughing hysterically, I have to get back to the dormant commerce clause. Thank you for making the ordinary level of crazy on this site look down right sane.

DC

TigerD

If I could edit -- I would. Please accept that I recognized the typos -- sadly my phone isn't very smart -- but it tries hard. Whether I want the spelling changed or not.

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">