• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retrieving vehicle from impound questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smshields

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I recently purchased a motorcycle from a friend about three weeks ago. I bought it on Saturday evening. I paid cash and got a signed bill of sale from him and the title. It was late so didn't have a notary available to notarize the title. I drove the bike Sunday and got arrested for speeding. They impounded the bike.

I need to get my bike out of impound now (It's been there 12 days). The impound lot says I have to have a proper metal tag, insurance, and title in my name. I have the insurance in my name on it.

Shouldn't I be able to show them the title and bill of sale? I'm hauling the bike back in my truck, not driving it off. Need advice ASAP. Please help. Thank you very much.

[email protected]

JETX

smshields said:
Shouldn't I be able to show them the title and bill of sale? I'm hauling the bike back in my truck, not driving it off.
Presumably, these are requirements of state law.... not simple rules that the impound yard has decided to impose on you. Follow the law, get your motorcycle back. Or don't, and don't.

Read Subsection 13 at: http://www.oar.state.ok.us/viewhtml/595_25-5-3.htm

Last edited:

Smiles

JETX said:
Presumably, these are requirements of state law.... not simple rules that the impound yard has decided to impose on you. Follow the law, get your motorcycle back. Or don't, and don't.

Read Subsection 13 at: http://www.oar.state.ok.us/viewhtml/595_25-5-3.htm
(A) the owner, upon presentation of evidence of ownership which is satisfactory to the wrecker operator and required by 47 O.S. § 904, such as a certificate of title or registration, or written verification from a local law enforcement agency as to the identity of the owner;
(B) a person representing the owner, upon presentation of the certificate of title, a notarized letter from the owner permitting said person to act in behalf of the owner, and proper personal identification, such as a driver license, of the representative, or written verification from a local law enforcement agency as to the identity of the person representing the owner;
[...]
The OP presented evidence of ownership (certificate of title and bill of sale). They didn't say they found the evidence of ownership unsatisfactory, which appears to be the only grounds they have to keep the vehicle. They could be following a procedure that has no basis in law and simply don't realize it. Maybe they just want to keep it a few extra days to rack up fees. OP, show them the relevant statutes and regulations. If they still don't listen, get your local law enforcement agency to officially identify you as the owner.

Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes doesn't seem relevant, as it says:
§47-904. Payment of cost of removal and storage.
The owner of a motor vehicle or lienholder of the vehicle abandoned in violation of Section 901 et seq. of this title, or the owner of any vehicle or lienholder of the vehicle or insurer accepting liability for paying a claim on a vehicle or purchasing the vehicle as a total loss vehicle from the registered owner which shall have been lawfully removed from any highway or other public property may regain possession of the vehicle in accordance with regulations of the Department of Public Safety upon payment of the reasonable cost of removal and storage of such vehicle. An operator shall release the vehicle from storage upon authorization from the owner, agent or lienholder of the vehicle or in the case of a total loss, the insurer accepting liability for paying the claim on the vehicle or purchasing the vehicle where the vehicle is to be moved to an insurance pool yard for sale.
The cost of removal and storage shall be paid to the wrecker or towing service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">