• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revoked License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kkiani

What is the name of your state? CA

Apparently I’ve had a parking ticket that hasn’t been paid for a year. I’ve moved to a different state and now I just found out that my CA license has been revoked/suspended. Can they do that for a single unpaid parking ticket??What is the name of your state?

JETX

Apparently I’ve had a parking ticket that hasn’t been paid for a year. I’ve moved to a different state and now I just found out that my CA license has been revoked/suspended. Can they do that for a single unpaid parking ticket??
Of course they can. You failed to appear on a traffic citation... and they issued a bench warrant for your arrest and suspended your driving PRIVILEGE.

California Vehicle Code:
Suspension for Failure to Appear
13365. (a) Upon receipt of notification of a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 40508 the department shall take the following action:

(1) If the notice is given pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 40509, if the driving record of the person who is the subject of the notice contains one or more prior notifications of a violation issued pursuant to Section 40509 or 40509.5, and if the person’s driving privilege is not currently suspended under this section, the department shall suspend the driving privilege of the person.

(2) If the notice is given pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 40509.5, and if the driving privilege of the person who is the subject of the notice is not currently suspended under this section, the department shall suspend the driving privilege of the person.

(b) A suspension under this section shall not be effective before a date 60 days after the date of receipt, by the department, of the notice given specified in subdivision (a), and the notice of suspension shall not be mailed by the department before a date 30 days after receipt of the notice given specified in subdivision (a).

The suspension shall continue until the suspended person’s driving record does not contain any notification of a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 40508.

CdwJava

kkiani said:
Apparently I’ve had a parking ticket that hasn’t been paid for a year. I’ve moved to a different state and now I just found out that my CA license has been revoked/suspended. Can they do that for a single unpaid parking ticket??
Obviously it wasn't a parking ticket.

A "parking ticket" is one they slap on your car and has only your vehicle info on it ... a regular citation (a "promise to appear") issused to YOU and has your name and info on it.

How do you know your license is suspended? If you have been informed of the suspension, do you have the suspension authority? (It should be a number ... 13XXX).

- Carl

kkiani

So I just found out that I've paid this PARKING ticket and confirmed with my bank that the check was cashed by DMV 5 months ago. So what can I do now? Would they un-revoke my license when I show them this proof? I didn't know a single street cleaning parking ticket could result in your driver's license being revoked. After all, I wasn't even driving (parking) that car. This does not make any sense!

kkiani

Hey Carl

Today I went to the DMV in the state of WA to get my WA license and they told me my license was suspended in CA. There is no susp. authority number. It just says PDPS Status: Suspended or Revoked. I guess I have to wait till Monday to figure out why it has been suspended. And this is going to kill me! I've had no moving violation/tickets of any sort for years, except this one parking ticket that somehow DMV fails to clear from my record. This doesn't make any sense. Any idea what could be causing this to happen?

CdwJava

kkiani said:
So I just found out that I've paid this PARKING ticket and confirmed with my bank that the check was cashed by DMV 5 months ago. So what can I do now? Would they un-revoke my license when I show them this proof? I didn't know a single street cleaning parking ticket could result in your driver's license being revoked. After all, I wasn't even driving (parking) that car. This does not make any sense!
Once more ... HOW do you KNOW your license is suspended? It is not for having aparking ticket - CA does not suspend a driver's license for a parking ticket.

Contact the DMV and see what they need to reinstate your license.

- Carl

CdwJava

kkiani said:
Today I went to the DMV in the state of WA to get my WA license and they told me my license was suspended in CA. There is no susp. authority number. It just says PDPS Status: Suspended or Revoked. I guess I have to wait till Monday to figure out why it has been suspended. And this is going to kill me! I've had no moving violation/tickets of any sort for years, except this one parking ticket that somehow DMV fails to clear from my record. This doesn't make any sense. Any idea what could be causing this to happen?
Are you in arrears for any payments? Any child support, spousal support issues? Any failure to complete counseling or classes for prior citations or arrests?

It could also be a mistake.

But it is not due to the parking cite. You will have to contact the DMV and see what can be done. This won't be easy or quick as they are not likely to give you info over the phone. You will likely have to get the information via mail.

- Carl

kkiani

None of those things Carl. Does DMV normally inform the individual before or after the license has been suspended? I've never received any information on this. My wife thinks maybe it has to do with some sort of identity theft.

kkiani

I received a WARNING in the state of WA last week for not having up-to-date proof of insurance on me (well I had it, but didn't find it in the car at the time the officer needed it). But she did not issue a violation for that. Could that Warning for not having proof of insurance in WA cause my CA license to be revoked in the state of CA?

CdwJava

kkiani said:
None of those things Carl. Does DMV normally inform the individual before or after the license has been suspended? I've never received any information on this. My wife thinks maybe it has to do with some sort of identity theft.
This is why you need to contact the DMV.

Before they can enforce the suspension (i.e. cite you for the suspension), there has to be "good service". This can be accomplished by mail as well as in person.

- Carl

CdwJava

kkiani said:
I received a WARNING in the state of WA last week for not having up-to-date proof of insurance on me (well I had it, but didn't find it in the car at the time the officer needed it). But she did not issue a violation for that. Could that Warning for not having proof of insurance in WA cause my CA license to be revoked in the state of CA?
Which state do you have a license in?

CA CAN suspend your license if your insurance has been revoked. Depending on how it was reported to CA this coul dhave something to do with it. But, until you contact CA DMV you can only guess.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">