• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Days No permit Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vusoi

What is the name of your state? NY

I got a ticket for parking on a street where a Elementary school is on. The signs say that there is no parking for school days from 7am-4pm. But i checked with the school and there aren't any classes in session during the summer. Is that a valid reason to fight the ticket? I know they still serve lunch and stuff to the neighborhood kids during the summer. But that shouldn't be considered a school day right?

Any advice or opinions would help, thanks.

ENASNI

Ack.. not even summer school? Wait for a YAG or a New Yorker, but you asked for opinions and that was the first thing that came into my head...

Sorry. If it was no help. :eek:

Veronica1228

vusoi said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I got a ticket for parking on a street where a Elementary school is on. The signs say that there is no parking for school days from 7am-4pm. But i checked with the school and there aren't any classes in session during the summer. Is that a valid reason to fight the ticket? I know they still serve lunch and stuff to the neighborhood kids during the summer. But that shouldn't be considered a school day right?

Any advice or opinions would help, thanks.
I say that you can give it a shot, but remember that the sign says "school days" not "while school is in session." Weekdays are technically school days.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Veronica1228 said:
I say that you can give it a shot, but remember that the sign says "school days" not "while school is in session." Weekdays are technically school days.
A weekday that school is not in session is NOT a school day. Why would you think that? :rolleyes:

Veronica1228

Zigner said:
A weekday that school is not in session is NOT a school day. Why would you think that? :rolleyes:
If the school is open, i.e. being used to serve kids lunch, then that could be considered a school day. :rolleyes:

You Are Guilty

Veronica1228 said:
If the school is open, i.e. being used to serve kids lunch, then that could be considered a school day. :rolleyes:
This is actually one of the (many) gray areas - the parking regs do not define what a "school day" actually is (nor even what a "school" is - does a garage that teaches welding count?)

First, check to see if the ticket is defective on its face. It has to comply with these rules:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/pdf/04pdf/parking_rules39.pdf

If it's valid, to fight it, at the minimum, you'll need a letter from the school principal that school was not "in session" on the date of your ticket. However, even if you manage to get it (many schools are open in the summer, even if its just for teacher's meetings, summer classes, or other programs), it's still a 50-50 shot of dismissal. (If you're in NYC, you can increase those odds to ~70-30 if you argue it in person as opposed to by mail).

Now, the question is, how much time and effort are you willing to expend on a $65 ticket? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">