• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat belt ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sladkaya5

I got A ticket in NYS for seat belt but i live in OHIO and i still have NYS licence i recently moved from NYS.
So i got a ticket that it says: UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET
I PLEA not guilty. so i got a letter in a mail.
it says: pre-trial conference (the date and time).
Here what it says in a letter.

This court has entered your not guilty plea. You have been scheduled for a pretrial conference with the district attorney as shown above. THIS IS NOT A TRIAL DATE.
If you plan to be represented by an attorney he or she should accompany you and ready for the CONFERENCE scheduled. No adjournments will be considered within 72 hours of the above date.
We are enclosing instructions on how to write to the district attorney if you would prefer to handle this through the mail.

SO THIS IS THE LETTER I GOT AND PLUS INSTRUCTIONS.
AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I DO ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS WILL I HAVE TO SHOW UP AT THE COURT?

and will there be a trial date too? or just pre trial?

PLEASE HELP!
THANK YOU!

sladkaya5

Yes i understand. But i would like to know if after all those instructions i would have to show up in court for the trial?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What do the instructions say?

It's only a seatbelt so it's no points. Not sure what you're looking for. You could have received an additional ticket for moving and not notifying the DMV within 10 days.

The pre-trial conference is for you to discuss the case with a prosecutor and generally you'll be offered a deal, although for a seat belt I can't see what they would offer you as an alternative - maybe a parking violation since the surcharge is less.

It would seem that your best bet would have been to enter a guilty plea and pay the fine - something you'll end up doing anyway at a greater cost in time and aggravation.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
And if you tell me what court this ticket was returned to maybe I can offer further information since I >may< know how that particular court operates.

BOR_

and will there be a trial date too? or just pre trial?

PLEASE HELP!
THANK YOU!
Your would have a minimum of 2 appearances. First is the pre-trial "conference" & if you still plead not guilty then there would be a trial date (if you cannot resolve the issue at the pre-trial conference).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">