• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat Belt Ticket even though I was wearing my seat belt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

solasassn

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was pulled over right after merging onto a limited access highway by a NJ State Trooper. He was travelling in the middle lane of the highway as I came around the entrace ramp, and pulled up next to me and matched my speed for a bit before dropping back to pull me over. I was incredulous when he told me he pulled me over because both him and his partner observed me driving without a seat belt because I was actually wearing my seat belt the entire time. I am actually still curious as to how they both missed it (unless they just had it out for me). But, when I told him I was wearing it, he accused me of putting it on after he had pulled me over.

In any case, I would like to fight this ticket as I am actually innocent. However, I am doubtful that my work will stand up against that of 2 police officers.

Any advice on fighting this thing?

Thanks.

racer72

Were you wearing the seat belt over your shoulder or under your arm? A few months ago the Feds pointed out that many drivers do not wear their seat belts incorrectly and that they need to step up enforcement of the state laws. With the increase in seat belt usage there has also been a marked increase in injuries because of improper seat belt usage, especially those that put the seat belts under their arms.

Curt581

solasassn said:
unless they just had it out for me.
That must have been it. Two complete strangers... who had never seen you before, knew absolutely nothing about you, "had it out for you".

Yeah... that's what happened.

:rolleyes:

solasassn

Give me a break here...maybe they simply didn't see the belt over my shoulder, maybe they needed to make a quota (if that even exists, I only know of it by rumor), maybe they saw a young kid in a sporty looking car and decided to give me a ticket (i.e. had it out for me). I have no idea what they saw or didn't see, or what they were thinking. All I know is, I was wearing my seatbelt, correctly, from the moment I put my car in gear, and I had two officers pull me over and ticket me for the contrary. While I don't think there's much I can do about it, I found this site while trying to do some research into my situation, and figured it couldn't hurt to post something and see if anyone had some helpful advice. I certainly wasn't asking for your sarcastic comment on a single phrase that, taken in context, really has no bearing on the rest of my post. So, please go back to reading other people's posts and making yourself feel good by making sarcastic comments whenever possible, and leave replies to this one to those who are nice enough to reply helpfully, as those before you had done.

Curt581

solasassn said:
Give me a break here...maybe they simply didn't see the belt over my shoulder, maybe they needed to make a quota (if that even exists, I only know of it by rumor), maybe they saw a young kid in a sporty looking car and decided to give me a ticket (i.e. had it out for me). I have no idea what they saw or didn't see, or what they were thinking.
Thanks for making my entire point. No, you don't have any idea.

So what was the purpose of stating that they "had it out for you"... like the entire episode was personal?

If you make asinine statements, expect ridiculous responses.

solasassn

I never thought it was personal in that the two police officers has something against me. However, I can't help but look for an explanation considering I don't think it's common for someone wearing a seatbelt to be pulled over for not wearing one, or at least I hope not. So, in looking for this explanation, I see three possibilites. Most likely, they just didn't see the seatbelt. I don't see how that would happen, but let's hope that it's the correct explanation because the other 2 don't paint a rosy picture of the police officers. Possibly, they had to make some sort of quota and I was the unlucky one who got nabbed for no reason. Or, the only other possibility I can see is that they saw something about me or my car (or the combination) that they didn't like and had it out for me.

Now, I saw from some other posts that you're a police officer, so don't get all upset about the last two options. They are not asinine, but legitimate options. Considering neither of us know what happened, that's the best I can do. I only posted them in hope that someone offering advice and not just comment would be able to rule any of them out, or give advice based on them.

In any case, I appreciate the "help." Keep on posting....

Last edited:

efflandt

In my car I don't even know if someone behind or next to me could tell if I had my belt on, because the anchor point is height adjustable, adjusted even with my shoulder, hidden by the door pillar. So they would have to be in front of me to tell if I was wearing it, which Illinois did either side of Memorial Day weekend using random road blocks. But in that case, as you approach them at low speed, it is easy for them to tell unless it blends in with your clothing.

I guess if you want to avoid being unjustly accused in NJ you have to make sure your shirt or jacket is a contrasting color to your seatbelt.

smod

I just got out of court...

I live in TX. I went in this morning defending my self against a seat belt violation... I included three photos of wearing my seat belt in clear view and then three photos of how I sit when I normally drive...

I thought I put on a great defense for someone with no knowledge of what I was doing.... then on rebuttal... they got me....

The office was asked how he knew I was not wearing my seat belt... he said he saw the buckle hanging from the resting position.... I was not prepared for that.... and was found guilty.... only to get to my car and find out even if my seat belt had been in the resting position... it was behind my shoulder and not visible from where the officer was seating.....

Now I am trying to figure out how to go back and appeal or file a motion for new evidence.... any suggestions????

Crazed98

smod said:
I live in TX. I went in this morning defending my self against a seat belt violation... I included three photos of wearing my seat belt in clear view and then three photos of how I sit when I normally drive...

I thought I put on a great defense for someone with no knowledge of what I was doing.... then on rebuttal... they got me....

The office was asked how he knew I was not wearing my seat belt... he said he saw the buckle hanging from the resting position.... I was not prepared for that.... and was found guilty.... only to get to my car and find out even if my seat belt had been in the resting position... it was behind my shoulder and not visible from where the officer was seating.....

Now I am trying to figure out how to go back and appeal or file a motion for new evidence.... any suggestions????
Do you really feel that proving yourself innocence is worth all the time and effort put into it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">