• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat belt ticket. No license but did not get ticketed for that. What will happen??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rosco2423

Illinois. This may be a tricky one..

I am currently a Illinois resident. I currently have a suspended license from when I was an Iowa resident. I have never had my Illinois license. I got pulled over today in Illinois while going from point A to B. All I had was an Iowa ID card with my old address on it. The officer alleged I was not wearing my seat belt when I passed him and decided to pull me over. He took my Iowa ID and when he came back somehow ONLY gave me a seat belt ticket. He said nothing about my drivers license suspension and politely asked that I take care of it and let me go on my way.

My question is, what will happen with this ticket since I am currently suspended? It is marked on the ticket that I was the driver but is not checked anywhere that I had a suspended license. Will I be able to pay this without issue or will it automatically come back on me and compound with my suspension? Does the fact that it happened in a different state have an impact on the outcome?

Thank you in advance and let me know if you need any more details!!!

Cappuccino

Not my field of expertise but. It was my understanding that once your in court for something you cannot be brought in under a bunch of other charges. If that was the case they would set a new court date for your suspension when you got to court.

But I personally feel like you will be able to fall through the cracks on this one. You will probably just owe the seat belt ticket/fine and thats all, hell why not ensure you fall through the cracks on this one? Just prepay the ticket early. Forget about going to court and risking them noticing their error.

rosco2423

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I agree and had no intentions on taking it to court. As you said, I figured that would just get me in more trouble and have no idea at this point if it will fall through the cracks after being paid. If anyone has any experience on this it would be very much appreciated.

The seat belt ticket is not a moving violation if I understand correctly, but that little check box marked "driver" makes me so nervous. Either way I accept full responsibility for my actions. I'm seriously like two weeks away from getting my license back too..

Cappuccino

It is possible to get a seatbelt ticket while just ridding along with someone in a car (even when your not driving) so its possible the court may flick it away and assume that was what happened.

In the mean time get yourself a moped to get you from point A to B legally without seatbelts. Its only two years right?

rosco2423

It is possible to get a seatbelt ticket while just ridding along with someone in a car (even when your not driving) so its possible the court may flick it away and assume that was what happened.

In the mean time get yourself a moped to get you from point A to B legally without seatbelts. Its only two years right?
haha yeah, like I said though there was a check box for driver or passenger.

Anyone else have any input?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">