• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seat belt violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rwonderwoman

What is the name of your state? Texas
Question is when my CDL came up for renewal I discovered that there's outstanding warrant for a seat belt ticket issued in 2004. When brought to my employer they agreed to pay the basic ticket amount but not the late fees totaling over $300.00. It was in a commercial vehicle, the seat belt was broken, told to drive it like that, ticket stated it was inoperable, turned it into my supervisor on the next business day. Now main office claims they never received it. This is the same excuse used for a DOT ticket that wasn't paid until stopped couple of years later by another city, threating to impound equipment. Then they paid it. What can I do to have them pay the late charges along with the ticket amount.

moburkes

I'm not sure that you can. The ticket is given to the driver of the vehicle, not the owner of the vehicle, or the employer. You should have followed up to make sure that it WAS paid.

BelizeBreeze

It was up to you to inform your company that you would not drive defective equipment and, if necessary, tell them to stick their piece of crap up their collective asses.

You did not. You received the ticket. you pay the ticket.

rwonderwoman

Did that also. Told truck was alright for that day earlier, only spare equipment available, no one to contact nor preform repairs & would be terminated if I didn't do the loads dispatched on

The Occultist

Did that also. Told truck was alright for that day earlier, only spare equipment available, no one to contact nor preform repairs & would be terminated if I didn't do the loads dispatched on
I believe that would have been grounds to sue...

Either way, as stated previously, tickets are assigned to the drivers, and NOT the company, so you should have been able to EASILY check with your DMV to ensure that your ticket was taken care of, and it was your responsibility to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">