• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should i please not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N_80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I was driving with normal speed when i got a call , I picked my phone only to be stopped by a cop ( I was not aware of the law as I am new to NJ) 0 points but 130$ and yes I please guilty.
I was told to produce the documents, I could my insurance and my DL but could not find my registration, he gave me 0 points but 180$ for not producing documents, I tried to show him the one in my phone(soft copy) but he was not convinced, what should i do ,pay up or plead not guilty ?

You Are Guilty

Assuming you actually had valid paperwork, but just not with you at the time you were pulled over, bring them all to your court date and explain to the judge what you've explained here, then show them the proof. They will usually dismiss the ticket outright (or at least cut the fine by a lot).

Or, if you light your cigars with $100 bills, feel free to plead guilty too.

N_80

Assuming you actually had valid paperwork, but just not with you at the time you were pulled over, bring them all to your court date and explain to the judge what you've explained here, then show them the proof. They will usually dismiss the ticket outright (or at least cut the fine by a lot).

Or, if you light your cigars with $100 bills, feel free to plead guilty too.
Actually I told him I have one in my phone if you want to verify if the car is actually mine or not as per records he confirmed he was able to see my information in his system then whats the problem here , why should one be keeping all the documents when they can check that in their systems or we can show it on our phones?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually I told him I have one in my phone if you want to verify if the car is actually mine or not as per records he confirmed he was able to see my information in his system then whats the problem here , why should one be keeping all the documents when they can check that in their systems or we can show it on our phones?
Because the law is written in such a way that it is required.

N_80

okay :)

Thanks for your advice , its on Wednesday I do not think I can take off , let me pay up :-(

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You are required to carry certain documents in your vehicle. Carrying images of those documents on your cell phone is not legally sufficient and I would not want to even look at them if I was in a similar situation.

Showing them after the fact (i.e. in court) usually doesn't work out very well - although it may depend on the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">