• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signs vs. Curbs and/or Visibility Trucks, and Trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

italianomaster

Hi, I recently got a parking ticket in Silverlake, California for parking in an area that apparently has a no parking sign from the hours of 11PM-6AM. I parked in an open spot behind a large blue chevy truck amidst a long line of parked cars. The sign was located down the street from me behind a large tree behind a large shrub directly in a red-zone. Needless to say the sign was completely obscured and I was rather surprised when I came back to my car to find no one else parked there and an envelope with a ticket inside. I walked around and found the sign down the street and decided to fight it. In the case of sufficiently clear and visible I figured this was an open and shut case and submitted photos and the reasons why it could not be seen in my initial review. Somehow the L.A. parking violations bureau deemed that the sign is sufficiently clear and visible and the ticket is valid so I'm proceeding with a hearing by mail. I want to show further photos that I did not submit in my initial review (I thought 14 labeled photos were enough) and argue the point that even if one had walked down the street and looked behind the tree the sign seems to be indicative of the red curb zone where the sign is placed. I'm pretty sure that even in cases where signs and curbs are in conflict the signage takes precedence but the only vehicle code that I could find stating this was from Georgia. Does anyone know what California code states this or have any other useful information?

Thank you in advance for any contributions:)

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Parking signs have less of a visibility requirement than traffic regulation ones. Unless the vegetation completely covered the face of the sign, you won't win.
Yes, one sign per block is sufficient. You can keep at it, but you're unlikely to win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">