• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold car in Jan Got towed in March Need Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timbucktwo

I sold a car two months ago. Last week I get a letter from a towing company saying I need to come get my car out of hock. I told the towing company I sold the car and have no title no keys and this is not my car anymore. i guess the way the towing company looks at it is it's still my car because the buyer never got it registered. Towing company says they are going to take me to court for towing charges and storage fees. Pretty much told them to go fly a kite. I called the guy that bought the car. He gave me a sob story that he had no money to get the car back as the towing company wants $300 to release the car. Not sure how to proceed with this.

CdwJava

What state are you in?

It may well be that if you failed to file any change of title or registration paperwork on the car, you could be held holding the legal bag for it. State law will control on this, so let's start with that and see whether anyone might know how your state handles such things.

timbucktwo

What state are you in?

It may well be that if you failed to file any change of title or registration paperwork on the car, you could be held holding the legal bag for it. State law will control on this, so let's start with that and see whether anyone might know how your state handles such things.
I am in Wisconsin

latigo

I sold a car two months ago. Last week I get a letter from a towing company saying I need to come get my car out of hock. I told the towing company I sold the car and have no title no keys and this is not my car anymore. i guess the way the towing company looks at it is it's still my car because the buyer never got it registered. Towing company says they are going to take me to court for towing charges and storage fees. Pretty much told them to go fly a kite. I called the guy that bought the car. He gave me a sob story that he had no money to get the car back as the towing company wants $300 to release the car. Not sure how to proceed with this.
It doesn't matter how the towing company looked at it. By law in order to effectively perfect its lien rights and to dispose of the vehicle either by junking it or selling, it is required to give notice there of to:

" . . . the person shown to be the owner of the vehicle in the records of the department of transportation . . . " (Wisconsin Statutes Section 779.415 (2) Liens on vehicles for towing and storage.)

Provided it is saleable and sells for more than the towing and storage charges, the good news is that you as the registered owner are entitled to any excess.

Also of note is that the statute does not expressly allow the lien holder the right to sue the registered owner for any deficiency. Nor give any legal cause of action against the registered owner. And since such liens were not afforded under common law, the statute must be strictly construed. Meaning a court could not add any remedies not specifically provided.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you consult the local police and file a report on the issue, confirming they understand you are only doing this to protect yourself from additional fees, then obtain a duplicate title, redeem the car and wait for the buyer to come looking for his car. State law may trump this if it requires you commit fraud to obtain a duplicate title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">