• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

South Pas, Ca: Ticket for No Possession of License, Uninsured, and Unregistered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alhambraman91

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California. Alhambra Courthouse. Citation in South Pasadena, CA

Had just left class and realized I lost my keys that day. Called up a friend to pick me up to take my home and get keys to use the family car. I had already planned to help out a friend that day with some computer issues. I was in a rush so I grabbed the keys to the Caddilac Escalade (~2002). The Caddilac is registered under my uncle's name because he primarily drove it, but was financed with my dad, the cosigner. My dad and my uncle also financed another truck, and since both cars were paid off and my uncle had too many cars, my dad would keep the Escalade. Please note that I am going to take full responsibility of this entire situation, because I don't want to cause any emotional distress on my family members.

I made it to my destination about 2 miles north (South Pasadena), helped my friend out then I was leaving. As I pulled out on the street, a South Pasadena police car pulled out immediately behind me. I drove down three blocks south, and and cop turned his lights on, so I pulled over without ANY idea why. I didn't know that the car's registration was lapsed (Sept 2010), and the car was definitely uninsured. I did not have my license in my possession because my wallet was left in my car at school. The officer walks up to my window and asks me if I knew why I was being pulled over. I told him that I had no idea why, so he explained that my tags weren't up to date. I showed him past registration papers but that didn't suffice. The officers did call for backup and told me they could tow the car, but they didn't. They wrote me a ticket for VC4000A1, VC12951A, and, VC16028A which are: proof of up to date registration, possession of license, and evidence of financial responsibility, respectively. They told me to drive the car straight home, so I did.

I have a letter in the mail with a bail of $75, including proof of all three things. However, I can only prove that I was licensed at the time. The license was in my wallet, inside my car. My car was left at school, with up to date tags and insured.

I don't know how I should approach this situation. It was a one-time thing where I had to meet with someone to help them out. I had no benefit in driving the car, but it was a way of transportation to help someone else out. Also on the letter, it gives me a choice to elect Court Trial, or Trial by Declaration. I also do not have the necessary finances to cover myself if the ticket reaches several hundreds of dollars to thousands as the officer was bragging about. I am unemployed, but I do have little income which I can use to make payments. My parents have been unemployed for several months now from being laid off. We are living off my parent's unemployment and social security, while I have some money from Financial Aid to cover my books and transportation which isn't very much. I do understand that the car is not mine and I'm also afraid that the court may subpoena family members of mine to court in order to prove ownership of the car so that it was not theft, or maybe to transfer responsibility to my parents or uncle. It's enough stress for me having to deal with this ticket. I don't want to extend the stress to my family members about this situation. Not only is it emotionally stressful because of the current financial hardship situation, but it's also embarrassing. That is why I want all matters resolved in my hands if it means having to pay thousands... So if anyone knows of a way I should approach this situation/ticket, or a way to enter into a plea where I can reduce my fine, or something I can say to get some sympathy from the judge to understand my situation that this was a one-time thing, helping someone out... It wasn't a good day for me, that's for sure. I'm only 20, and i'm a full time student in college.

cyjeff

Uninsured motorist fines easily rise to the hundreds of dollars.

Talk to your father about insuring the car today... sometimes, the judge will help you out if you can show current insurance on the vehicle.

Same with registration.

Either way, someone is paying a few hundred dollars to get this helped out... one way or the other.

alhambraman91

Well, i'm not going to go before the judge and say that we don't use the car. I'm letting people know that the car is not being driven. The fact that I drove it out once was only a one time thing... It wasn't a smart decision I made, but it was not something I would repeat. It's just sitting in our garage at home ever since. It's not being touched nor is it being moved anytime soon. We all have cars at home to drive and registering another vehicle and insuring it just isn't financially feasible at the moment with all other bills and finances.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, i'm not going to go before the judge and say that we don't use the car. I'm letting people know that the car is not being driven. The fact that I drove it out once was only a one time thing... It wasn't a smart decision I made, but it was not something I would repeat. It's just sitting in our garage at home ever since. It's not being touched nor is it being moved anytime soon. We all have cars at home to drive and registering another vehicle and insuring it just isn't financially feasible at the moment with all other bills and finances.
That's an economic decision you have to make. I guess you'll be paying the ticket and taking the associated hit(s) on your insurance then, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">