• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Standing" in Chicago: I was curbside less than 1 minute in front of Starbucks!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creusa

"Standing" in Chicago: I was curbside less than 1 minute in front of Starbucks!

What is the name of your state? IL

I was on Rush Street, picking up a friend already coming out of Starbucks. I received a $100 ticket in the mail. If there was no "no standing" sign, was I wrongly ticketed?

wirry1422

If the sign was simply a no parking sign or a loading zone/standing zone sign, then you were wrongly ticketed. But, if the sign said "no stopping no standing" then you were in the wrong. Additionally, if the ticket was never handed to you or placed on your vehicle at the time of occurence, that is grounds for dismissal as the chicago municipal code explcitly states that parking tickets must be handed to the operator of the vehicle or placed on the vehicle itself. I have seen parking tickets dismissed because the ticket was only issued thru the mail because the ticketing official did not have time to finish writing the ticket before the vehicle left the scene. I myself have successfully had a ticket dismissed for that very reason. But, you must appeal within 21 days of receiving that letter. Don't wait-- appeal now. And appeal in person for the best chance of winning. You will be issued a one week period in which to appeal the ticket anytime during hearing center business hours, which makes appealing more convenient then if it was only during a set hearing time. If you wait, the fine will double and you will lose your chance to appeal. And your car will be booted and/or towed if this is at least your third unpaid parking ticket. Good luck.

CdwJava

As a point of clarification, "No parking" would also prohibit "stopping" or "standing".

- Carl

wirry1422

I think you have it backwards. In order from least to most restrictive is no "parking", "standing", "stopping".
If the sign only says no parking, that sign does not prohibit standing or stopping. If the sign says no standing, it also prohibits parking but does not prohibit stopping. If the sign says no stopping, it also prohibits standing and parking. Each of these terms of course has specific definitions within the Chicago traffic code, and most traffic codes around the nation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">