• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Standing in a fire lane?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tro0925

What is the name of your state? New York

I was in a Stop n' Shop parking lot and I dropped off my fiancé to run in a pick up a prescription, which took less then five minutes. I parked next to the building which was a fire lane. I stayed in the car with my hazards on and the motor running for less then five minutes, which is the definition of "standing" not "parking". I was given a ticket for parking in a fire lane. I tried to look up fire lane parking, but I could not find anything. I found a motorist can be "standing" within 15 feet of a fire hydrant as long as there is a licensed driver in the vehicle to move it, in the event of an emergency. All other rules I found said, as long as traffic is not being blocked, which it was not. The sign that was posted said, "No Parking", but it did not say "No Parking and No Standing In Fire Lane". In fact, on the other side of the parking lot, there were signs that said, "No Parking and No Standing In Fire Lane", but these signs were not in the vicinity of the Stop n' Shop. My question is, was this ticket wrongly given, and would I have a case if I fought it or would I be wasting my time? Thanks

You Are Guilty

Here's your problem:
I stayed in the car with my hazards on and the motor running for less then five minutes, which is the definition of "standing" not "parking".
Actually, that's called parking. Standing is when you are stationary and passengers (and their packages) are actively getting in and out. Once they're gone, you're parked.

As far as the hydrant thing, it only applies to hydrants, not fire lanes. You may be able to contest it if the signage was improper, but they only need one, even if it's location was not near you.

If you search on this site, you'll find a list of all the possible errors on the ticket which qould require it to be dismissed. See if any apply to your ticket. If you decide to fight it anyway, contest it in person (not mail) to increase your chances. It also helps if you bring the Administrative Law Judge a bottle of wine and some chocolates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">