• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State inspection renewal and windows tint - Urgent advice is needed!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

I have a Texas inspection sticker which expires 2/13. This means the current inspection sticker will expire on 2/28/13 at 11:59pm?

Problem : I think my windows are heavily tinted and it may be above the maximum tint level. This will cause the state inspection to fail?

If it does fail, what are my options? Is there a way to lower the tint level? Do I need to replace the windows?

sandyclaus

I have a Texas inspection sticker which expires 2/13. This means the current inspection sticker will expire on 2/28/13 at 11:59pm?

Problem : I think my windows are heavily tinted and it may be above the maximum tint level. This will cause the state inspection to fail?

If it does fail, what are my options? Is there a way to lower the tint level? Do I need to replace the windows?
Inspection/Rejection Criteria

20.32 Window Tinting. All vehicles that have window coating, tinting, or sunscreening applied to the windows must be inspected for the following:

1. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Glass coating or sunscreening devices on windshields:

1) Extends downward beyond the AS-1 line or more than five (5) inches from the top of windshield on vehicles without an AS-1 line. Measurements shall be taken from inside the windshield; or

2) Is red or amber in color.

b. Glass coating or sunscreening devices on windows:

Windows immediately to the right and left of the driver, which open, have less than 25% light transmittance.

c. Check calibration before rejecting vehicle.

2. Exemptions:

a. The following will not be considered as sunscreening or glass coating devices:

1) Rearview mirror.

2) Sun visors.

3) Motor carrier destination signs.

4) Rear window wipers and motors.

5) Trunk lid handle or hinge.

6) Luggage racks.

b. Do not inspect glass coating on vehicles used to transport passengers on a regular basis for a fee, (i.e., taxi, limousine, and buses).

c. Do not inspect glass coating on a vehicle that is maintained by a law enforcement agency and used for law enforcement purposes.

d. Vehicles used by persons with medical permits. Drivers of these vehicles must present a letter of authorization from the Texas Department of Public Safety to gain this exemption.

e. Multipurpose vehicles may be equipped with any nonreflective film on the side windows that is to the rear of the driver. No label required. (Those motor vehicles designed to carry 10 or fewer persons constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use.)
If you don't pass inspection, prepare to remove or modify the tint on the windows in order to comply with the legal requirements as indicated above.

Banned_Princess

Weren't they tinted at the last inspection? If it fails, you have the reason for the fail fixed, and bring it back to be inspected again.

I'm pretty sure it is hell removing tints, and it will be much easier to replace the windows.

How are we, as people on the internet, supposed to know if your tints are to dark?

OHRoadwarrior

If a standard window film tint was added to the inside of factory windows, it is not difficult to remove the tint. Take a razor blade, snag the edge of the tint paper at the top of the window and at various points at the edge. Spray with water and slowly work the tint paper off. Clean the residue off with rubbing alcohol.

(I won't say what I was doing in my desperado days that required a quick vehicle face lift)

HomeGuru

BP, I adjusted my light/dark on my computer and still can't tell if the tint is too dark. You are right about the internet.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

Side Windows to The Rear of The Driver

These windows are completely exempted from regulation under the Texas Transportation Code.

I have a 2 door car. This means the back two small windows that do not open can be tinted as much as I can?

OHRoadwarrior

ORW: That is going to take a long time and my windows will be all scratched.

The law is for all 6 windows?
No it goes fast and should not scratch your windows. Based on the law Sandy posted, only the driver/passenger windows and windshield have regs. The side windows can be pretty dark at 25%. The rear windows you refer to have no regs, nor does the rear. I suggest you stop at an authorized inspection station and offer to buy them a coffee, if they bring out their meter and check yours. A tinting place will likely do it for free also if you are looking at other things they sell. It takes about 3 seconds to read a window.

Cappuccino

Well even if you get the "good" inspection place and they pass you even with the tint that might be illegal. You will still have to worry about a cop pulling you over one day and giving you a ticket for it.

I had just bought a car from a dealership, during the ride home i was stopped by a cop for the window tint. As the others mentioned above it was HELL taking it off for two reasons #1 my technique was a little bit off. And #2 i have never done this before.

Anyways I got atleast... 75% off the rest was saved for a later day to be removed lol and the judge threw it out saying "You have complied with the law" He aslo said because my car was new (as it just bought not NEW new) he would over look it.

So the only tint level matters is the driver front side and passenger front side?

The tinting place can remove it? If not for free, how much would they charge?

OHRoadwarrior

So the only tint level matters is the driver front side and passenger front side?

The tinting place can remove it? If not for free, how much would they charge?
They might charge a couple hours labor. I was referring to checking the reflective ability. As I said though, 25% is pretty dark. You might be legal currently.

double_h

tint removal

I failed inspection yesterday due to the tint being too dark. There are two ways to remove the tint. 1. use a clothing wrinkle steamer (20-30 bucks at walmart) flip up corner of tint and hold steamer to it. The longer you hold the steamer, the more glue releases from glass. Steam and peel. any residue can be removed with goo gone or windex if tint is old you might need to clean with razor blade which if you spray the glass with windex then scrape, it will NOT scratch the glass. option 2 is call a local car tint place and simply ask how much they charge for removal. I called a place in Conroe Tx and they said $30.00 and they will remove it for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">