• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which state law does my vehicle fall under?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delsol

Hello everyone! I am currently in the military and I am stationed in California. On the other hand I am a Florida resident with a current address in Florida and my drivers license and my vehicles are registered in Florida. I was wondering since the emmissions laws and other traffic laws (window tint, etc) are radically different which state laws would my vehicles be required to comply with? California is a beautiful place but the laws out here are ridiculous.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello everyone! I am currently in the military and I am stationed in California. On the other hand I am a Florida resident with a current address in Florida and my drivers license and my vehicles are registered in Florida. I was wondering since the emmissions laws and other traffic laws (window tint, etc) are radically different which state laws would my vehicles be required to comply with? California is a beautiful place but the laws out here are ridiculous.
Emissions would fall under Florida law since you are not required to register your vehicle in this state. Florida and California law aren't very much different in regards to tint (they are different, just not hugely different.) In fact, in some instances, Florida law is MORE restrictive.

delsol

Well thats good that I wont be required to smog. For other things though, like tint or hids would I need to follow the specifications set in FL or CA? Also does anyone know where I can look to find a legal document of some sort that clarifies this? I'm not trying to fight a ticket or anything like that. I just want to be properly informed for if this situation ever arises. Trust but verify and all that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well thats good that I wont be required to smog. For other things though, like tint or hids would I need to follow the specifications set in FL or CA? Also does anyone know where I can look to find a legal document of some sort that clarifies this? I'm not trying to fight a ticket or anything like that. I just want to be properly informed for if this situation ever arises. Trust but verify and all that.
I would suggest that you contact the DMV and the CHP.

I will also see if I can get CDWJava to comment on this thread. He's very knowledgable.

CdwJava

If you are active duty military and your personally owned vehicle is registered in FL, then you should be able to get by with the requirements in FL.

I can search for the specific code sections later, but, you should be okay. The only time it might be an issue is if you travel to areas that are not familiar with the military regs and exemptions and they might issue a cite for equipment. But, if that happens, you should be able to prevail provided you are still active duty at the time.

realfilm

NY inspection sticker and Florida laws

After reading this thread I got to wondering about driving a car registered in NY but visiting Florida. Since NY has car inspection stickers could a Florida cop give you a ticket for an expired NY inspection sticker? I would think not since Florida doent have inspections anymore.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You just hijacked someone else's thread. If you have a question - start your own - it's free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">