• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State to state registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamie81972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX TN?
The question arises from ticket I got in tennesee for not having my registration papers (which are required to be carried on the vehicle in tennesee) while riding my motorcycle through tennesse.

Texas law says I only have to carry the registration if my vehicle is used for commercial purposes.

Who's law do I have to follow? isin't there something in the Interstate commerce clause that states each state must respect the others laws? How in the world am I supposed to know every minor detail change in law from one state to the other?

What should I do?

I_Got_Banned

Texas law says I only have to carry the registration if my vehicle is used for commercial purposes.
Actually, I can't find any Texas law that states you don't have to carry a registration in your non-commercial vehicle or one that states you do have to carry it in a commercial vehicle.

In fact, I couldn't even find any reference to a "registration card"... Only a registration receipt, registration insignia, a license plate, an inspection sticker... etc, but no registration card. My guess is that the registration receipt would suffice as proof of registration regardless of the type of vehicle you drive. But that is a mere guess!

Who's law do I have to follow?
When in Rome... You play by the Roman's rules...

Who's law do I have to follow? isin't there something in the Interstate commerce clause that states each state must respect the others laws?
Even if there was such an interstate commerce clause, (the "commerce" part would suggest "commercial", would it not?), yet you said you weren't using your vehicle for commercial (motorcycle) purposes!

How in the world am I supposed to know every minor detail change in law from one state to the other?
If you want to be in compliance, you go online and glance through that state's driver's manual.

What should I do?
If you can find a Texas law on the books that says you need not carry your registration, then you can probably take a copy of it and show it to the judge and hope that he/she will dismiss the citation. But, even then, you will likely have to travel back to Tennessee to do that. You might want to check with the court to see if they allow some sort of written declaration.

Otherwise, just pay the citation and move on with your life!

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">