• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations on tickets from a game warden

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anggoonan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

How long after an incident on a lake can a game warden issue you a ticket?

anggoonan

There was a verbal disagreement ONLY between my fiance' and a woman on the dock last June regarding whose turn it was to load their boat first. After the verbal disagreement we left. 2 days after this incident tickets were placed in my mailbox (not mailed). One for disorderly conduct and the other for failure to change address. Turns out the woman's husband was a state trooper and was not even present for the disagreement although I was. A month later another ticket was received from the Texas Department of Wildlife for failure to give boating information in a boating accident BUT there was no accident just a verbal disagreement. We are fighting these tickets and now 7 months after this incident occurred we again received another ticket. This one for wreckless or negligent operation. Doesn't state whether it's wreckless or negligent or operation of what but it's again issued by the game warden and back dated to that date.

I'm wondering how long this state trooper can continue to influence the game warden to issue tickets for an incident that did not occur and that neither one of them was present for. Given that a claim for damage has never been filed against our boater's insurance this whole ordeal is beginning to look like an abuse of power and we are really starting to feel harrassed.

Any advice?

anggoonan

Game warden said it was a he said she said situation and the alleged boating accident would have to be filed with my insurance company since she could not determine any damage to our boat (I did not have any damage to my boat and the game warden did come out and check) Game warden also said this would be a civil matter. Nothing has ever been filed on our insurance or filed in civil court. Game warden was surprised to hear that the state trooper had issued these tickets to us.

We have not contacted the trooper's superior yet. Should we have done that?

justalayman

We have not contacted the trooper's superior yet. Should we have done that?
I would but...

can you explain this:

I'm wondering how long this state trooper can continue to influence the game warden to issue tickets for an incident
Game warden was surprised to hear that the state trooper had issued these tickets to us.

In one statement, the state trooper issued the tickets and the game warden knew nothing about the tickets. In the other, the game warden is issuing the tickets at the behest of the state trooper.

anggoonan

Yes I can clarify. Originally the game warden told us that since there was no damage to our boat it was a he said she said issue and that she would file a report in Austin and that's all that she could do as she was not present at the lake when this supposed incident occurred.

So, we're assuming this made the state trooper mad that she wouldn't issue tickets so HE personally wrote two tickets to us, drove to my house and put them directly into my mailbox (were not mailed). After this we contacted the game warden and that is when she said she was surprised that he did that.

We had originally contacted our insurance carrier and they told us not to give out our insurance information to them, that they had access to it already and to leave it to them to file a claim against our insurance and at that point the insurance company would do an investigation to decide the validity of the claim. No claim has been filed to date.

After a couple of weeks, the game warden herself sent a ticket in the mail to us which completely contradicts what she originally said. When contacted she stated that she was just doing what she was told to do.

And now 7 months after the alleged incident we received another citation in the mail from the game warden. All four tickets are being represented by an attorney but to this date all that he has done is re-set the court date.

Just looking for some answers as to how this can happen and how long we will have to wonder if yet another ticket will show up in the mail. It's feeling alot of like judicial harrassment at this point.

justalayman

After a couple of weeks, the game warden herself sent a ticket in the mail to us which completely contradicts what she originally said. When contacted she stated that she was just doing what she was told to do
told by whom?

If you have a lawyer involved, you should do nothing independently.

It does sound like there is some abuse of authority here. I would question the authority of the cop writing any ticket since he wasn't there nor was he called in for the complaint.

but, let your lawyer handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">