• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations on parking tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anniemccoy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington State
Yesterday I received a notice from a collection agency stating that I have an unpaid parking ticket. This ticket was issued in April of 1999. This notice from the collection agency is the first time I have been notified of this parking ticket I supposedly received five years ago. I called the agency and told them that I plan to dispute this claim as I have never been notified. If the city really wanted this money from me why did they wait five years to send me to collections or at least contact me? Is it acceptable for the government to sit on this for such a long period of time without sending a notice? I would of had no problem in paying the ticket but I am outraged that I never received anything until now. Is there a statute of limitations on parking tickets? Do I have any case in your opinion? Thanks so much!

CdwJava

If its in collections, chances are they have had it open for a while. Usually what happens in these cases is that notice is sent you the address you have on record for the registration of the vehicle. If you failed to update your address at that time, and it went to the wrong address - oops! Your bad.

And now, with it being in collections, the SOL issue might not apply. However, depending on how long they have been in collections, you may have a case to fight it if they try to sue you.

I don't know how it works in WA, but in CA they would have placed a lien on your registration a long time ago. So, my guess is that someone at the city is cleaning hosue and found it. Now its in collections and the collections agency is trying to strong arm a payment. They may or may not have a case - maybe others will know.

But! They COULD make your life miserable for a while ... having an open collections account on a credit history is a bad thing ... very bad.

Good luck.

Carl

racer72

There is no SOL on parking tickets in WA and you are well past the time to challenge the ticket. Your only hope is to prove that the ticket was issued to a vehicle you did not own at the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">